Restylane Stimulating Collagen?

i've been reading that restylane, though it is temporary, often permanently improves the appearance of the area it was injected into by stimulating collagen. is there any truth to this? does it vary a lot? i would love if my 'baseline' tear troughs were improved so that my touch-ups would not need so much filler. i used 2 on my tear troughs and would like to be able to pare it down to 1 injection a year. i am very young, early 20s, so is there a good chance that i will get the benefits and need less?

Restylane in tear troughs lasts two years or more.

+2

Hi.

1)  We have even seen it last three years. It lasts a long time in this area (if injected in tiny amounts, deeply, under the muscle) because this part of your face does not move.  For example, around the lips it does not last longer than nine months.

2)  I don't really believe in the collagen stimulating theory.  Just marketing.

Restylane and longevity

+1

You may experience some stimulation of your own collagen growth after repeated injections of a dermal filler. However, this will vary from individual to individual.

Sam Naficy, MD

Can Restylane stimulate collagen production?

+1

It has been demonstrated that Restylane can stimulate collagen production over time in the area it is injected. So in effect, you may not need as much in a given area down the road if you have been having treatments consistently. This does vary from person to person, and the result you get will really depend on your individual circumstances. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with your future treatments!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Studies demonstrate Restylane stimulates collagen production

+1

You are correct!  There are studies demonstrating that fillers such as Restylane stimulate collagen production which provides a benefit even after the filler has degraded.  Collagen is diminished as we age due to genetics, sun and other enviornmental factors.  This creates wrinkling of the skin so anything we can do to produce more collagen is beneficial to smooth out the lines and texture of the skin.  As time goes on, you should require less frequent touch ups in the tear trough since more collagen will likely be produced.  Also, the filler tends to last much longer in this area since it is not a highly mobile area.  Once you have built a base with filler, you should see nice, long-lasting results in your tear troughs.

Kristin Baird, MD
Longmont Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane Stimulates Collagen

+1

Studies have found that multiple injections of Restylane actually stimulates the skin to produce collagen, a protein that keeps it firm and supple but dwindles with age and sun exposure causing sagging and wrinkling. Therefore, there is truth to what you have heard about this treatment. 

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Injectable Fillers and Neuromodulators May Actually "Slow" the Aging Process

+1

There is a general consensus today among aesthetic physicians that early intervention, in the form of the use of injectable fillers and volumizing fillers (such as Restylane, Juvederm, Radiesse) and injectable neuromodulators (e.g. Botox, Dysport, Xeomin) may actually retard the aging process.

In the case of the neuromodulators, the primary reason for this is simple. If, through their use, we diminish the hyperactivity of the muscles of facial expression that often comes with aging, we consequently decrease the amount and degree of accordion-like skin folding that results from their activity. The fewer and less intense the muscular contractions in a region, the less the static wrinkling and creasing that results (wrinkles at rest). Repeated treatments with these agents may result in more sustained improvements translating into less wrinkling and skin etching with the passage of time.

The story with fillers and volumizing fillers demonstrates a similar trend. It goes without saying that by lifting wrinkles and restoring volume to sinking areas we are reversing the aging trend toward creasing and sagging. But, it seems that many of the fillers, by physically stretching and elongating surrounding fibroblasts (the cells that produce collagen and elastin), stimulate the fibroblasts to produce a greater quantity and improved quality of these important fibers--which may contribute to more prolonged results from treatment. These benefits may be obtained in all treated regions, including those around the eyes.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Restylane stimulates collagen

+1

Studies have shown that hyaluronic acid fillers such as Restylane do stimulate some collagen, but the amount varies from person to person.  Restylane in the tear trough area can last for several years in some people.  Make sure you receive treatment from an experienced injector.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Best Use of Restylane in Lower Eye Lid Hollows

+1

Hi Baggy,

Yes, studies have shown that hyaluronic acid fillers (Restylane, Juvederm, Belotero) do stimulate collagen production so that even when the filler has disappeared, there is still some benefit and improvement in the treated area. 

Using Restylane for lower eye lid hollows is excellent.  This area does not have much movement so the product lasts much longer than in areas with a great deal of movement.  In some patients the fill can last for years.

The lower eye lid hollow is a delicate and unforgiving area, therefore it is most important to choose your experienced injecting physician most carefully.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Restylane produces a new collagen response in skin

+1

Laboratory studies have shown that new collagen is produced in response to pressure stimulation of fibroblasts -the cells in skin that produce collagen.  This is not a 1:1 replacement but is a small amount of additional volume.  The response probably varies widely from individual to individual.  In clinical practice, I find that patients who have gone through 2 or 3 cycles or routine correction with Restylane, often keep a degree of permanent or long-term correction and need less filler and less frequent treatment to achieve maximum correction.  I would expect a younger person to be more likely to achieve this benefit. 

Lawrence Bass, MD