Self-injecting Restylane Medically Unethical?

I have seen ads online from dermatologists and board certified plastic surgeons who advertise an injection price for the patient's own Restylane. I don't know who would contemplate self-injection unless they're going for a bizarre look, like the fad in subdermal implants. Is it medically unethical to inject the patient's own Restylane, or just risk of a malpractice suit if there is a problem?

Self-Injecting Fillers, Botox, Anything - Dangerous at best

+1

Unethical, illegal, Dangerous, Crazy, are just a few ways to describe someone contemplating injecting or operating on themselves. Remember that A Doctor Who Operates On Himself Has A Fool For His Surgeon is the corollary to: A Lawyer Who Represents Himself in Court has a Fool for His Attorney. Both o these maxims involve highly trained persons. Just imagine how bad it would be if they were not. Not to mention practicing medicine without a license which is illegal in all States in the US. It is downright dangerous and you are highly likely to have complications too numerous to list.  It just isn't worth it.

Re: the patient obtaining their own product - this is dangerous as there is no guarantee of purity, sterility, adulteration, etc.

Self-injecting restylane

+1

It is illegal to self medicate and inject fillers into yourself.  Only a doctor a nurse or a PA I believe in NY state  can inject you with medications or fillers.

MD injecting Restylane from a patient

+1

Hi Scrippsgirl,

No physician in their right mind would inject a product like Restylane when they're not sure from where it came. Restylane is a prescription drug that needs to be administered via a physician's office and injecting something brought in by the patient is unethical, a sure fire way to attract malpractice suits and a reason for disciplinary action from the state medical board.

In addition to the issues on the physician side of the equation, importing drugs like Restylane via the internet is illegal and could subject the purchaser to jail time. We'd stick with the traditional route of your local trusted physician. Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Self-injecting Restylane is a really BAD idea!

+1

Any doctor who would encourage or allow this is stupid, and you don't want to go to them. Furthermore, anyone who would purchase something that could potentially harm them for life off the Internet and willingly inject it into their bodies is making a terrible decision. 

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologist

This is a new low

+1

This is quite unbelievable. Only a fool would inject a product that they did not purchase legally in the US and have control over it until used. This Restylane must be from another country, because in the US, only licensed physicians can purchase Restylane and Perlane. Any doctorwho would take these kinds of chances, must surely be unqualified or perhaps even unlicensed themselves.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Desperate times for some doctors.

+1

Dear Scrippsgirl

Yes this would be unethical and it might be illegal.

BT Barnum once said that "no one has ever gone out of business underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

I suppose these doctors are encouraging you to obtain filler from the overseas market which might be cheaper. However, there very good counterfeit packages out there that look like legitimate product with holograms that are filled with things like silicone oil. The doctors who are offering to inject these materials are either naive or so greedy they just don't care.

Just say no to this type of nonsense service.

Very Poor Idea

+1

This practice would be putting the patient and their physician at risk. Even if the Rest;ylane came with the same packaging it still could be fraudulant. For a physician to trust that the patient's source of Restylane is the same, but cheaper, than the physician's source  could be a costly mistake.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Injector beware

+1

This just makes no sense to me. There is a certain supply chain which verifies the source of teh restylane.

Imagine how complex and how good some of the fake watches and purses (made overseas) approximate the real thing. Now imagine how easy it is to make fake restylane ( a syringe with a label and a box). Be careful. Verify your sources and supply.

I would be extremely reluctant to inject restlyane provided to me.