Restylane Vs Rhinoplasty to Widen & Soften Face?

Hello, I have a long narrow face with undefined cheeks & cheek bones; therefore my face looks flat. My doctor has suggested restylane in my cheeks. However, I am also unhappy with my nose - its crooked, large and doesnt fit my face. I feel if I fix it and make it more feminine it would soften my face... The cost of Rest. for my face is $3000,one-third the cost of rhinoplasty. Ideally I would like both - should I bother with Rest. (how long would it last?), or just save up for the rhinoplasty?

Should you get Restylane or save the money for rhinoplasty?

+3

You raise an excellent question, which is, how best to spend money for cosmetic improvement of your face. In reviewing your photos, I believe that rhinoplasty will give you a more pronounced effect that will be permanent. Therefore, I recommend you save your money to have a rhinoplasty.

There is room for more than one opinion here.

+3

You have two separate issues.  The contour of your nose and the flatness of the face.  Filler is expensive but by no means are you wasting your money.  Fillers for the cheek would be very helpful.  It might also cause you to think differently about your nose which will be better balanced by the fillers.  Because the fillers are temporary, I would encourage you to start with this treatment.

+3

I agree that you are a candidate for either/both procedures; however this being said, I think that if you have the rhinoplasty first, you may not feel that your face is so narrow as your nose will better fit your face.  If you still think you want a wider face, I would not waste your $ on absorbable fillers, I would recommend finding an excellent surgeon who has great results with fat transfer- this can give you permanent results! Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Widen face restylane vs rhinoplasty

+3

You are a good candidate for both ptocedures. Rhinoplasty alone will improve your features but, to give you some cheek enhancement without implants, i would use Rabiesse. Radiesse will give stronger fill and last longer.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Restylane vs Rhinoplasty

+2

It is not recommended to have any fillers placed in the nose.  Restylane will only last in the nose 6-9 months and will have to be repeated.  There have been numerous documented disasters of fillers being placed in the nose with subsequent necrosis of nasal skin.  It is best to undergo a rhinoplasty if the patient really wants to change the shape of their nose.  This is a permanent change and in experienced hands can be the best solution.  A crooked nose can be straightened with osteotomies and a large nose can be reduced by reducing the overall projection and hump on the bridge.  The goal of a rhinoplasty is to feminize and refine the nose so that it balances and fits with the facial features.  

Wide face

+2

You raise some good questions. however you are talking about several things of which some are not equivocal and some which are complementary. First of all consider the best use of your budget. You are talking about one treatment which is temporary and one that is permanent. Filler will improve your width and may make you notice your nose less but you will need to be repeating it every 6-9 months unless you have implants. In 2-3 years you will have spent more then the rhinoplasty and still have to keep spending to maintain the result. Rhinoplasty will balance your face better and bring out your eyes more and will be permanent. You may then augment it with filler to the cheeks but you will probably need less to achieve the result.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat Grafting and Rhinoplasty

+2

I think you need rhinoplasty as well as Fat Grafting to the face (not Resylane).  The fat grafting to the face will help rejuvinate your face and help better define your face by reshaping it.  Also, your rhinoplasty will compliment other aspects of your face while highlighting your cheekbones, chin and cheeks.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Fat injection, not Restylane

+2

Never mind the Restylane.  It is a waste of money.  You need a major increase in cheek volume.  This is best done using fat because it is possible to inject much more volume this way.  For example, I might inject 15 cc of fat into each of your cheeks.  This compares to a few cc of Restylane, which would simply be lost in your cheeks.  Restylane is for lips and smile creases where a difference of a few cc is visible.  Also, at least some of your fat transfer will survive.  Restylane is gone in a year.  So fat is a better economical choice.  Fat is your own tissue.  It feels natural and there is usually an abundant donor supply, even in thin women like yourself (outer thighs are the typical donor site).

Yes, you are a candidate for a rhinoplasty.  It will definitely comliment your face and help overcome the long face appearance.

You should be able to get both procedures done for less than $10,000 (about $8000 in my practice), including anesthesia and the facility.  You need a surgeon who is experienced and proficient in both rhinoplasty and fat injection.  Look at plenty of before and after photos.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Restylane vs Rhinoplasty

+1

1098anon,

You are asking about two different concerns: 1) having a narrow face, and 2) the shape of your nose.

I think you need to decide which of these concerns is more important to you.  Restylane injection to your cheeks will not help the shape of your nose (although Restylane is sometimes used in the nose as well), and rhinoplasty will not help the narrowness of your face.

Remember that Restylane injection will last 4-6 months.  There are longer lasting options to augment your cheeks, including longer lasting fillers and cheek implants.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon