Can Restylane Remodel a Scar Located Near Injection Site?

I had restylane injected into a new depression that was near an old scar. Now the old scar is starting to change. Are these changes to my old scar permanent and will my scar revert to what it looked like once the Restylane in my face wears off? Thank you!

Can Restylane Remodel Scar Near Injection Site?

+3

Hi Lena,

In some cases, Restylane can stimulate collagen production in an area so that even when the Restylane wears off there is still an effect.  This usually occurs in areas where there is little or no movement.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Can Restylane Change the Appearance of My Scar?

+1

Hi Lena.  It's unliekly that Restylane injected into the site of an old scar would permanently change the appearance of the scar.  Because Restylane does not usually last more than 9-12 months at the most, your scar should go back to looking just like it did before you had the restylane injections.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Restylane - Effects on Scars and Surrounding Areas

+1

Hi Lena2K,

It is, of course, hard to answer specifically without being able to examine you.

However, the good news is that the effects of Restylane are not permanent (that's also the bad news, depending on how you look at it!).  Most likely, even if there's a little distortion, it will just settle down on its own over the next few weeks.  If anything, most people are concerned that the effects of Restylane will not last long enough; in this case, that's an advantage for you.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Restylane for scars

+1

Unfortunately one can not discern the true character of your scar. The fact that the old scar changed begs the questions: was the scar from acne, chicken pox or a skin cancer that was treated? If the latter, then a doctor must make sure the skin cancer is not returning.  Was it a raised or flat or depressed scar?  If it was flat and now raised, or raised and now higher, then possibly the restylane injected in the adjacent scar made the old one lift up having pushed its way underneath the new firm scar's base and to the side during the injection.  IF that's the case then the Restylane can be dissolved with hyaluronidase. Your current treating physician is best able to recommend treatment as they saw closely how the old scar appeared and can contrast that with how it looks now.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Melting Restylane

+1

In response to this and your other question... Any HA product can be "melted" away with a special injection. I perform this injection several times per week on patients that have had injections at medspas or other places with inexperienced injectors. Your doctor may be able to perform the melting injection or find you someone in your area that does. The melting only works for HA products such as Juvederm and Restylane.

David Shafer, MD

Restylane and scar

+1

It is difficult to say what to do without seeing how the area looks now. Remember that restylane dissolves over a six month period of time. You can always get it dissolved quicker..

Restylane is temporary

+1

Restylane is temporary , lasting 3-12 months, depending upon the location of the injection. Typically it lasts shorter when used in dynamic , ie moving parts of the face, ie lips versus static , nasolabial folds. So, any perceived effect you are seeing, if it is related to Restylane should resolve.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

Very temporary in my opinion based on NO photo, limited posted info. From MIAMI DR. Darryl j. Blinski

Restylane can be used to repair rolling depressed scars

+1

Restylane can be used to repair rolling depressed scars. It is not indicated for thin scars or raised scars.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Unfortunately, the Restylane effect is no permanent.

+1

Dear Lena

Restylane microfilling is great for example acne scars and can be used to fill in larger and deep scars.  In many cases this is a great alternative to an actual scar revision that takes a very long time to heal to the point the revision looks better than the healed quiet scar.  I do not believe that the treatment causes any long term improvement other than from the effect of the filling due to the product.  Once this disappears, the changes in the scar will revert to its former appearance.