Restylane Vs Radiesse for Marionette Lines?

What is the difference between Restylane and Radiesse? What are their side effects? I just wondered which is the best way to go? Restylane or Radiesse for nose to jawline lines? And, are there any side effects. Thank you

Fillers for Facial Contouring

+2

Dear Mare for Ceil

The most important component of an filler product is the person behind the needle. Both Radiesse and Perlane work well for facial contouring. All fillers can have complications- however they are uncommon. Some fillers are more area specific- Radiesse and Perlanefor large volume folds, Restylane for more fine folds, lips and under eye filling, Evolence Breeze for Lips.

Botox works well in combination with the fillers- depending on the areas.

The fillers have variable longevity- most last around a year.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Whatever your doctor feels most comfortable with

+2

Both products work well. There is multiple studies regarding this subject and I think it gets done to two things, what your doctor feels will give you the best result, and can it be reversed if you do not like the treatment? Restylane can and Radiesse is not reversible. Restylane has a new 2 cc syringe that works well for multiple areas of the face. How exciting.

Charles Perry, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Both Restylane and Radiesse work for marionette lines

+2

There are many subtle variables that an experienced injector uses to decide which filler to use. Skin thickness, amount of redundancy, patient tolerance for possible pain or swelling/bruising are just a few things I discuss with patients.

Since I do not know your specific needs, I cannot choose. Let me say that Radiesse is a great "bang for the buck" with larger volume syringes and longer duration that HA fillers. HA fillers like Restylane are reversible, however, and that gives them an edge with some patients.

Also, a lot of patients want lips done at same time, making Radiesse a poor choice. And remember what I have lectured on several times at AAD and ASDS: It is not the filler (product) it is the Filler (the doctor) that really makes the difference.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Radiesse is much more profitable for the doctor

+2

Hi Mare

Radiesse made a lot of sense before we had Perlane to replace it. Now Radiesse hangs on in the market because the company that sells it makes it cheap for the doctors to use. Will these savings get passed on to you? Good question.

However, you don't necessarily want something just because it is on sale. Radiesse is a calcium-based material that is difficult for the body to remove. Placed deep, it seems to be safe. However, a funny thing happens with filler materials. Sometimes, they need to be adjusted. Perhaps there was drift when the material was placed. Perhaps the material track superficially. Radiesse can be adjusted.

In contrast, Restyalne, Perlane, and Juvederm can be modified any time after treatment with an enzyme. This flexibility can't be beat and if you have to spend a little more money to get this better filler, remember, we are talking about your face!

Radiesse more chance of complications but lasts Longer

+2

Each filler would have its advantages and disadvantages.

Radiesse is a calxcium-based filler in a water gel. The water part dissolves and the calcium part spurs the skin to produce collagen. The effect lasts 1-11/2 years. In additon, Radiesse can gived a very nice looking correction. The downside is that you can end up with lumps and these are not easily corrected. Also, it takes some time before you obtain the maxiumum effect.

Restylane, or its deeper injected sister drug, is a hyaluronic acid filler. This is easiler to inject, lasts about 6-9 months, and can be dilssoved with an enzyme if the optimal results are not achieved.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Filler choice

+2

The area you describe is known as the "nasolabial fold". I suggest you investigate and consider Perlane for this area. Perlane is injected deeper and gives more volume. Frequently, I inject Perlane deeper and Restylane more superficial. This gives really good correction of nasolabial folds.

Edmond A. Zingaro, MD

Restylane much better for marionette lines.

+1

Hi!

We only use Radiesse to augment the volume of the upper cheeks and to camouflage the jowls.  For marionette lines, Restylane is safer and much less likely to produce bumps. And it does last 6 to 9 months.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)