Is Restylane or Radiesse Better for Cheek Augmentation?

Restylane vs Radiesse for cheek augmentation

+4

When comparing Radiesse to a hyaluronic acid filler such as Restylane, it is important to understand the difference between "stimulatory" fillers and "wrinkle" fillers. When treating problems due to volume loss such as cheek hollows and sagging skin beside the mouth, I will almost always use stimulatory fillers such as Radiesse or Sculptra. They are injected deeper, beneath the skin, and will generate more volume to create a much better lifting effect for sagging skin. They work by stimulating your skin to produce more collagen, which is why they are so effective for problems due to volume loss. Hyaluronic acid gels like Restylane or Juvederm are used as wrinkle fillers because they are injected more superficially, being injected in the skin rather than beneath it.

The video link below shows me injecting my wife with Radiesse into the lower cheeks, marionette lines, and jaw line!

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane vs. Radiesse for Cheek Augmentation

+3

I prefer Radiesse for this area.  It seems to hold the volume of the cheek up and out in a more stable fashion than the HA's (hyaluronic acid) such as Restylane or Juvederm.  Radiesse also tends to last longer - some 12-18 months - in this location compared to the HA's, which typically have closer to a 6-12 month duration.

Lyle M. Back, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse Nice Filler for Cheek Augmentation

+3

Radiesse is a more robust filler and better suited for larger volumization such as cheek augmentation. Additionally, Radiesse tends to last longer than hyaluronic acid fillers such as Restylane and is more likely to stimulate new collagen. I recommend you con consult with an experienced, board-certified dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon.  Fillers are only as good as the the experience and technique of the person injecting. 

Channing R. Barnett, MD

What to use for cheek augmentation

+3

Radiesse vs a Restylane for cheek augmentation...depends on whose cheeks you are filling. I find that Radiesse works well for volumizing the cheeks and defining cheek bones as it is a thicker product that lasts 12-18months. Sculptra is a product that is good to fan in the cheeks for volumizing the "sunken in face" . Restylane can be used to give cheek volume, but does not last as long, and more product may be needed to get the desired results. Your cosmetic surgeon can best advise you, as they will be able to see what your are trying to augment.

Purvisha Patel, MD
Germantown Dermatologist

Fillers For Cheek Augmentation

+3

The answer to your question is Radiesse, as Restylane is not designed to offer deeper volume but is intended to be used for more superficial volume correction.

On a volume per volume comparison basis Radiesse will give more initial visible volume fill compared with a hyaluronic acid product. But some patients may see some delayed volume loss after Radiesse treatment as the carboxymethylcellulose gel carrier is reabsorbed.

If you are considering a hyaluronic acid filler for cheek enhancement then Perlane or Juvéderm Ultra Plus would be your best options as these are designed for more significant volume correction.

The “value” offered by one product over another may differ since Radiesse is packaged in a 1.5cc syringe, Juvéderm in a 1cc syringe, and Perlane in a 1cc or 2cc syringe. This obviously depends upon individual pricing schemes, but your physician should be able to help you get your best fill for your dollar.

Best wishes, Ken Dembny

Kenneth Dembny, II, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

+3

I have performed many Cheek Augmentations using fillers (I prefer Perlane) and Cheek Implants and IMHO there's no comparison between Restylane and Radiesse.  Restylane is a thin filler designed to be injected within the layers, of the skin, to fill out lines and shallow folds.  Radiesse and Perlane, on the other hand, are thicker fillers that must be injected into the deeper fatty tissues and as such are more appropriate for facial shaping, contouring and augmentation.  

It's important to rmember that there's no inherent magic in any filler...the magic resides in the MD's ability to understand and follow the proper aesthetics of facial beauty for the creation of a naturally more attractive face.  Hope this helps. 

+2

There is no easy answer to this since both are excellent fillers. If you are younger or have never had a filler, I prefer Restylane as it is moldable and there is an antidote to dissolve it if you don't like it. Radiesse is more firm and there is no antidote to it, but it does provide for better lift if that is required.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane or Radiesse for Cheek Augmentation?

+2

Thank you for your question. In the hands of an experienced injector, either Restylane or Radiesse may be used for cheek augmentation to achieve a good result. The skill of the injector has more to do with the favorability of your result than the choice between these two products. For larger degrees of cheek augmentation, some Dermatologists and Plastic Surgeons prefer Radiesse given the particular qualities of this product, which may enable Radiesse to provide more volume-efficient lifting. A 2010 study demonstrated that Radiesse has a higher elastic modulus (G prime) and viscosity compared with the Hyaluronic Acid-based fillers Juvederm, Perlane and Restylane. Additional considerations include longevity of result and reversibility. In comparison with Hyaluronic Acid-based fillers, Radiesse may also provide a longer-lasting result and may be more likely to stimulate collagen production within the skin. Alternatively, one advantage of the Hyaluronic Acid-based fillers is that their effects may be reversed using Hyaluronidase treatment. The effect from Radiesse cannot be so readily reversed. I hope that helps.

James M. Pearson, MD

Perlane or Juvederm for "newbies"

+2

If this is your first time having a filler injected, I would recommend that you consider the use of a hyaluronic acid filler such as Juvederm or Perlane. Both of the fillers are reversible, should you not like the results. If you find that you enjoy the results of the Juvederm or Perlane, it would then be prudent and cost-effective to request that your doctor use a longer lasting filler such as Radiesse or Sculptra. 

Christine Glavey, MD (retired)
Alpharetta Dermatologic Surgeon

Filler options for cheek augmentation

+2
For augmenting the cheek, Radiesse will generate more volume. In addition to this, Selphyl, injecting your own plasma cells spun with a calcium base (in the simplest possible terms) can encourage collagen formation. See a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist to explore your options.

Robert L. Kraft, MD