Will Restylane Pull my Lower Eyelids Down? (photo)

I have a deep line under my right eye that was caused by a surgery that didn't turn all that well. This surgery resulted in the same lower eyelid drooping. I have had the droop fixed a little bit but the line cannot be fixed. I can only be filled. My question is, if I get Restylane injected into the line, will it pull my skin tight and cause the lower lid to droop even more? Does Restylane add any weight to the skin? Or is Restylane weightless? I circled the line in the photo I've provided.

Restylane under the eyes

+2

The area in question is actually belongs to the cheek, not to the lower lid. It sounds that you had an ectropion of the lower lid after your surgery, that was corrected. Thinking logically, the filler treatment of the area in question can either cause the cheeck to become heavier thus causing more pull on the eyelid, or, the other way around, may provide a better foundation and support for the cheeck thus decreasing the downward eyelid pull.  To provide a foundation, the filler needs to be injected deeper, over the bone; the problem with this is that it is harder to fully correct subcutaneous groove this way. I think in your situation it would be best to place some filler deeper and some more superficial, trying to find a middle ground so to speak.  In any case, HA based fillers are not permanent, and even if you get some pull on the eyelid, this should go away once filler resorbs.

Restylane and lines

+1

Without seeing you in person to look closely at the area you've pointed out, it is very difficult to determine whether or not you're a good candidate for Restylane treatment, and/or any dermal filler. Consider a consult with one or two reputable and well-trained providers in your area.

Sam Naficy, MD

What you are highlighting is the midcheek groove.

+1

The midcheek groove on your right cheek defines the lower boarder of your malar festoon. In addition to this it does appear that your lower eyes positions are compromised although the photos are not the best for assessing this.  It is very common to use fillers to help the midcheek groove.  I would say that going to a "board certified specialist" is unforntuately not sufficient to guarantee that the practitioner will have the skill, training and experience to satisfactory address this issue with a filler.  You really need to find someone who does a lot of lower eyelid filler.  Unfortunately it can be difficult to truly know in advance who does or who does not possess this level of skill and board certification in a particular specialty does not ensure this. However, it is a good basic qualification as it mean that this person has stuck to a particular training to achieve certification and that generally means that they are dedicated.  This is always a good quality in a doctor or surgeon.

Restylane Under the Eyes

+1

The area you have circled is a common area for fillers.  The best answer is to have this area evaluated by a board certified specialist to see how deep the line is.  Generally, restylane will not cause your lower eyelid to droop down IF injected by a skilled injector who is aware of the underlying anatomy.

Kimberly Lee, MD