Is Restylane Safe for Patients with Ehlers Danlos Syndrome?

My Dermatologist is familiar with Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. He has never used Restylane in an EDS patient and is concerned about the results of using it on someone with a collagen defect.

I would like to diminish the appearance of lip wrinkles and nasolabial folds. Is Restylane safe for EDS patients? Is there data on the results? Are there concerns relating to adverse effects?

Restylane and Ehlers Danlos

+1

This is an interesting question and I would be weary of injecting Restylane or any other substance into a Ehlers Danlos patient. Although there are 13 types (last time I checked), the milder forms still have risk of hematoma, infection and scarring with abnormal collagen responses. Fillers , particularly, restylane are said to cause a delayed collage reaction which is often times beneficial however the way an Ehlers Danlos patient reacts to the trauma of injection and the respective collagen response would be unpredicatable. Thus, I would discourage patients with ED from undergoing this procedure.

West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon