How is Restylane More Effective for Upper Lip Lines?

Are other skin rejuvenating procedures such as laser or Juvederm just as effective for the upper lip?

Multifaceted approach to upper lip lines

+1

Improving upper lip lines, or perioral wrinkles, can be done with a combination of methods.  Restylane, Juvederm, or Perlane may be used to enhance the outline of the lips as well as be injected into the lip lines themselves.  Botox or Dysport may be used to soften them, although caution must be exercised in this area.  Neurotoxins work by stopping movement, so a very small amount needs to be used.  Lasers, such as the Fraxel Re:Store 1927 or Active/Deep FX (fractionated CO2) can help with finer lines from sun damage and aging.  See a board-certified dermatologist for a consultation. 

Miami Beach Dermatologist

Restylane for mouth lines

+1

Treatment of this area and condition is considered challenging in that the muscle that is responsible for these lines is very strong is the purse string-like action that it creates.  Although smooth gel fillers combined with Dysport or Botox are good options, most practitioners will agree that a combination approach of more than one or two modalities is the best treatment plan.  For example, injection treatments combined with ablative/fractionated treatments will lend to a better outcome if the lines are more than superficial.

Our patients generally do not use Botox or Dysport as a stand alone treatment since the duration is quite short in this area.  However, when combined with filler and/or lasers, Botox and Dysport will complement the treatment plan.

Both Restylane and Juvederm are excellent products in this area but technique is the most important factor.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Best options to treat fine lines on upper lip

+1

Restylane is great for treating the lines of the upper lip, but you can also use Juvéderm or Perlane.  Restylane and Juvéderm are ideal because they have a very soft and natural look and feel and therefore are good for filling the fine lines of the upper lip.  The Fraxel or fractional CO2 are lasers also are effective for treating the fine lines of the upper lip.  Depending on the severity of the lines you may be a candidate for both laser and fillers.

Timothy Jochen, MD
Palm Springs Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane for upper lip lines

+1

When it comes to Restylane or Juvederm for the upper lip, the injector is much more important than the choice of filler. I have used both fillers, with equally great results in this area. For an even more effective treatment of upper lip lines, I often use both Botox (or Dysport) and a filler. This can go a long way in eliminating these unwanted lines.

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Neither Restylane or Juvederm will soften the vertical lip lines as well as dilute neurotoxins (Botox, Dysport or Xeomin).  I have used this as the preferred treatment for lips lines for over 15 years.

Effectiveness of Alternatives for Upper Lip Lines

+1

Physicians will debate whether Juvederm or Restylane is better for treatment of the upper lip. I don't feel it really makes a difference - the technician is more important than the material. The fillers are good to treat lines of the upper lip if increased lip volume is desirable. Chemical peels or lasers are used when we don't want to change lip contour or volume.

Juvederm is best for lips

+1

Juvederm is the best option for correcting an aging lip. The differences between each of the hyaluronic acid gel products such as Juvederm and Restylane include particle size, total concentration, and the extent of crosslinking. Softer gels such as Juvederm are more ideal for lips. One of the most frequently discussed characteristics of hyaluronic acid gels is its elasticity, represented by the symbol G’ (G prime). A gel with a higher G’ is better able to resist changes in shape and is described as being firmer, harder or more elastic than a gel with a lower G’. Another important property of hyaluronic acid gels is its viscosity, represented by the symbol G’’ (G double prime). A gel with a higher G’’ is thicker than a gel with a lower G’’. Restylane has a higher G’ and G’’ than Juvederm. This means that it is firmer and more viscous and can therefore create more lift and volume but is not as soft as Juvederm. Understanding these differences in the physical characteristics of the hyaluronic acid gel products should enable clinicians to better predict the clinical performance of these products and to optimize patient outcomes.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane for fine lines above the lips

+1

Restylane is a softer product than Juvederm -- scientifically this is because there are less cross links in the Restylane molecule.  Therefore, many dermatologists and plastic surgeons prefer Restylane because it gives a softer, more natural look for those fine upper lip lines.

Juvederm is appropriate as well. However stay away from Radiesse as it is too firm for the area.

A few units of botox also soften those upper lip lines.

Mohiba Khan Tareen, MD
Minneapolis Dermatologic Surgeon

Upper lip lines

+1

The lips can be treated with Restylane or Juvederm. I prefer Restylane for this as I like that it is slightly more firm than Juvederm. However, I think that what you might be asking about are the lines above the pink part of the lip. I do prefer Restylane for this but you can use Juvederm. I would not use Radiesse but would use Sculptra if done by a very experienced injector. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Restylane FDA Approved

+1

Although Restylane is the only filler FDA approved for lip augmentation, Juvederm can be used also. Many of us, in fact, prefer Juvederm Plus for its more natural feel. Perlane and Juvederm Ultra Plus are sometimes utilized,  but physicians using them would be in the minority. Radiesse and Sculptra are no-no.

Many of us like to place a few drops of BOTOX into the area near the upper lip to give the lip a desirable pout. 

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist