Is It Safe to Add Juvederm to Lips with Restylane?

I already have Restylane in my lips. Is it safe to add Juvederm Ultra? I've been getting Restylane lipp injected into my lips and have been unhappy with the lumps that have formed because of either an inexperienced injector or the Restylane. It certainly looks like the Restylane hasn't been injected deep enough.

Anyway I’m getting Juvederm Ultra injected very very soon. Could anyone tell me if would it be safe enough to inject another filler in my lips when there’s still Restylane there?

Juvederm and Restylane

+2

These two hyaluronic acid fillers do not negatively affect each other in any way. In general, restylane does not have any greater tendency to form lumps than Juvederm. You might want to consider waiting until the lumps resolve or have them dissolved with hyaluronidase before Juvederm injections.

Good luck.

San Diego Dermatologist

Its safe to inject Juvederm Ultra

+2

Yes, it is safe to inject Juvederm ultra into the lips even if you have had Restylane. I would probably use Juvederm ultraplus since both products produce a smooth lip line and add volume to the lips. 

Brenda Dintiman, MD
Fairfax Dermatologic Surgeon

It is safe, but you might need some Restylane removed to minimize lumps

+2

It is perfectly safe to combine these two products in the same patient and in the same location. I am speaking from the treating physician perspective as well as the patient perspective, as I had Juvederm put in my lips soon after Restylane. A note of caution: if the Restylane injections were not done well, you might want to find a different provider to do your Juvederm injections, to make sure you are happier with the overall results. If the Restylane was done too superficial, causing lumps, they might become even more prominent after additional filler is placed, so some of the Restylane might need to be removed or dissolved prior to having Juvederm injections.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD

It shouldn't matter

+1

Both are made of hyaluronic acid and have similar properties.  If you've waited for the Restylane to settle in and feel supple, the Juvederm should augment it nicely.

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

Safe to Add Juvederm to Lips with Restylane

+1

While it is possible to layer the two products, however, you will need to explore if it is in your best interests. You may be better off waiting until the restylane wears off or dissolve the restylane with hyaluronidase.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Juvederm Added to Restylane For Lip Enhancement

+1

There should be no significant issues with adding the Juvederm to your lips for volume enhancement and further reshaping. Both products are based on hyaluronic acid and can be blended without much consequence.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Combining Restylane and Juvederm for lip augmentation

+1

Absolutely.  Juvederm and Restylane belong to the same class of HA fillers and can be combined.  I would recommend an Arnica based ointment like Bruise-Stick before injection of facial fillers. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Juvederm and Restylane

+1

It is totally safe to inject Juvederm into an area where you have already had Restylane injected. The products are very similar and in my extensive experience there has been no reactions between the two fillers. You should always seek a board certified physician for these types of injections, because the skill and experience of the injector is critical in preventing lumps.

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Some physicians layer different fillers

+1

There shouldn’t be any chemical reaction between the two, but there can be (very rarely) delayed reactions to a filler. If you develop a reaction in the future, you might not know whether the Restylane or Juvederm was responsible.

However, it is not unusual for physicians to layer different fillers on top of each other placing the thicker filler deeper and the thinner filler on top. If your lumps occurred immediately after the treatment, please realize that they may easily be extracted by the doctor through a very tiny sterile needle puncture and expression.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Shouldn't be a problem

+1

Juvederm and restylane are similar products.  Juvederm has more crosslinking which means it should last longer.  IF placed properly there is no lumpiness.  It works great on lips lasting up to 6 months

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon