Safe to Get Restylane if You Have a History of Keloids?

Hello, I had saline injections (or saline subcision) treatment 6 times for acne scars on my face but the results were minimal. I want to now pursue getting a filler done on my cheeks such as restylane, but i'm keloid prone- i have a keloid on my chest from a pimple. Is it safe to get a fillers even if you're keloid prone?

Most likely this will not be an issue

+2

The skin on the body does not like to heal well and the hypertropic scar reaction that you are describing is not so unusual on the chest.  The likelihood that Restylane might stimulate such a reaction is quite small.  However, if you are very concerned about it, you might consider having your doctor test you with a 0.4 ml syringe of Restylane behind the ear.  If there is no reaction after 6 weeks this would be a pretty good test of the safety of the product for you.

Keloids and restylane

+1

It is difficult to say for sure, but it is unliikely to occur.  You may want to try a test injection somewhere inconspicuous first to see how it does.

Restylane and history of hypertrophic scarring

+1

There should be no correlation with your overscarring in general.  the filler is placed with a tiny needle and it should not "wake up" the tendency to develop these scars. If you do note significant itching or tenderness in the scar after the procedure see your doctor to evaluate the area for possibly evolving hypertrohic scarring. This can be treated but better results are obtained when treated earlier.

Ronald Shelton, MD