Are Restylane and Juviderm Comparable Alternatives to Botox During Pregnancy?

Would Restylane and Juviderm work well on crows feet when Botox is not an option?

Botox is not to be used in pregnancy

+1

Botox relaxes muscles.  Hyaluronic acid (Juvederm, Restylane, etc) are fillers.  Botox works best on lines that are formed with facial expression.  Fillers work best to treat lines that are seen "at rest".  None should be used in pregnancy.

Minneapolis Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane and Juvederm do not have the same effect as Botox

+1

Restylane and Juvederm are dermal fillers that add volume.  Botox relaxes movement.  Fillers and Botox are not interchangeable but are often used together in some areas such as the frown lines since they complement each other.  None of these products is used during pregnancy.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Botox vs restylane or juvederm

+1

Crows feet are best treated wtih Botox. There is rarely ever a reason not to do Botox for medical concerns. if one is pregnant, then even Juvederm and Restylane, although probably safe, are often going to be postponed until afer delivery and nursing.  If, for argument's sake, we pretend that Botox will never be used for your Crow's feet, then what else can be done?  Pelleve treatments, Fraxel treatments may induce collagen for many months after and improve the texture. The reason that Botox is the first line of treatment is that the crow's feet are related to muscle movement and if the movement of the muscles is diminished, if not prevented, then the lines improve.  Fillers injected into the lines of muscle activity, often will cause small lumps as the skin is so very thin here that the filler can show. Bruising can be very considerable in this area from filler injection but this is, of course, temporary, and resolves in two weeks usually.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Pregnant? No Botox, Restylane, Dysport, or Juvederm allowed!

+1

Dear Patient,

You are on the right track realizing that Botox (or Dysport) are not safe in pregnancy. Keep in mind also that they last 3 to 6 months in the body, so if you are even thinking about getting pregnant, I would recommend avoiding them until you are well past all of it. Unfortunately, most physicians also recommend avoiding the injection of hyaluronic acid gels like Restylane or Juvederm, or any other filler, during the same time period. There is just not enough good reason to take the risk of a VERY rare allergic reaction, subtle immune system response that could affect a growing baby, or any other unexpected outcome, while pregnant.

Keep in mind also that many of these restrictions carry on through any time of breastfeeding or pumping breast milk for the newborn. There is not enough evidence about the safety of these cosmetic treatments and how much or little they may enter into breast milk. There is unlikely ever to be enough research to know one way or the other, because these days, very little formal, rigorous research is able to be done on pregnant or breastfeeding (human) moms, due to safety concerns.

Enjoy the pregnancy and your new baby, and see your board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon when the coast is clear!

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Botox, fillers for crows feet during pregnancy

+1

Botox stops the muscle from moving underneath the skin and reduces the wrinkle. Botox is the first choice for this area.  Restylane and Juvederm fill in lines and wrinkles  They are used most often for Nasolabial folds.  Most doctors will not inject Botox, Juvederm or Restylane into a pregnant or nursing patient. 

Jeffrey Roth, MD

+1

Nicely stated, by my colleague in Beverly Hills.  I couldn't agree more, nor would I inject any family member of mine during their pregancy.

Hang in there!

Dr. Malouf

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist

No, they are dermal fillers used very differently than Botox

+1

Restylane and Juvederm are completely different than Botox, and do not work for crows feet.  Instead, your best bet for crows feet is chemical peels, microdermabrasion, exfoliation and good skincare.

Confirm which products you use with your dermatologist to ensure they are safe during pregnancy and brestfeeding.  And when you are done breastfeeding you can go back to Botox and pick up where you left off.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Both products help wrinkles, but don't use them while you are pregnant.

+1

Botox relaxes wrinkles cause by muscle movement. Restylane and Juvederm are used to add volume and fill wrinkles.  These are great products that would probably be safe during pregnancy, however my advice is not to  have any medical or cosmetic treatments that are unnecessary until after you deliver your baby.  Even though it is extremely unlikely that either treatment would cause a problem, why take the risk if you don't have to!

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Cosmetic treatments during pregnancy

+1

I am not a big fan of doing cosmetic treatments during pregnancy since this is a fragile time and not many treatments or medicines have been tested during pregnancy. Pregnancy is a very special time, and Botox, juvederm, restylane and other cosmetic treatments can wait till after the pregnancy. Because there is a baseline risk of having problems with your fetus (about 2-3%), if something were to happen, one wouldn't know if the treatment was to blame or chance itself.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Are Restylane and Juvederm Alternatives to Botox During Pregnancy

+1

Botox, a neurotoxin, is the best treament for crow's feet, but Restylane and Juvederm are used to fill deep grooves which are present lateral to the eyes at rest . However, I would not inject any of these products in a pregnant woman.