Restylane Vs. Juvederm for Plumping Lips?

I'm 22 years old and i'm getting into modeling. signed up with a huge modeling agency this month and i'm very keen to get lips like maybe close to angelina or scarlet johanson. my lips are normal sized not thin at all. should i opt for restylane or juvederm? please help!! i heard restylane lipp is specially for the lips and even juvederm ultra plus is for lip volume? please tell me which one to go for to specifically increase volume plumpness.

Fillers for lips

I won't answer your answer completely, as I have limited Juvederm experience.

I would recommend that you NOT use Restylane. In fact, I advise you to forget Restylane. Restylane is a great product don't get me wrong. The company who makes it is Medicis, and l they came out with a new product called Perlane which is very similar to Restylane in all practical regards, except that it lasts twice as long, and costs about the same.

Alternatively, you may want to opt for lip augmentation. I have added a link to my site so that you can see the procedure.

Scroll down to the lip aug video. By the way, I would be interested in feedback on the video if you have time. Thanks

Good luck to you.

Fillers for the lips

You are choosing 2 great products that are commonly used in the lips. Your doctor can help you decide which is best based on what look you are going for. The great thing about either one of  them is that should they overdo your lips, or your modelling agency prefers the old you,  it can be reversed within minutes with an injection of a enzyme that will dissolve the product. I treat models and they usually do very well with more subtle changes (remember most agencies are highly selective and would not choose you should you need more cosmetic procedures to look good).

My advice is to go with the "less is more" as you can always put more in and you may be surprised how good your lips look with just a small amount of product. Lastly, Angelina's lips only look good on certain faces. If you do no have some of her other facial features, you may look unnatural with her lips so beware and pick a doctor who is an artist at what they do. Ask to see an example of a lip they have done and see if you like it.... then proceed as you feel is best. Good luck

Shawn Allen, MD
Boulder Dermatologist

Juvederm vs Restylane for lip augmentation in a young model

If you have a busy modeling career, you will want to avoid the "just injected look" vs the "I almost need filler" cycle, since it can come back to haunt you in that photos taken over time show differences in lip size.

If you have one doctor do all your work, and you have it done at frequent intervals, you can avoid this problem.

We prefer Juvederm XC because it clumps less.

But as a number of the doctors have already indicated, pick a top doctor, not the product, if you want your best result.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Actually, a combination approach might be best

First, the good news: you no longer need nerve blocks to get your lips done. New Juvederm XC and Restylane L have added lidocaine. When you first use a topical anesthetic for the initial needle stick, and have an expert inject antegrade and slowly, significant bruising and pain are a thing of the past. I like Restylane, which is a bit stiffer to line and define the lips, and hands down, Juvederm Ultra Plus is the best plumper because it is so soft. An expert can make sure your lips have shape and do not look like sausages. Do your homework in your area to find an artist/doctor.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Pick your lip injector, not the product

Natural, natural, natural is the key. I personally only use Restylane and I am not a big fan of juvederm beacuse it seems to hold in the tissue a little less well in my hands. Others will disagree. Here is the real key. A good injector can work with any of the products you have mentioned and get a fabulous result. But this is an art form. The actual HA filler used to accomplish the treatment is way less important than the artistic eye of the person doing the treatment.

So don't get bogged down by the product. Focus instead on who will be doing the treatment. Great treatments don't look like anything but your own big beautiful lips. Bad treatments are, well, awful. Stay away from products that can't be adjusted. Never get silicone oil no matter how persuasive the injector. 

Restylane vs. Juvederm for Plumping Lips

Restylane and Juvederm are both hyaluronic acid-based products that are excellent options for adding volume to the lips. The main differences between the products have to do with how they are used to achieve specific benefits for the lips. Traditional Restylane has a higher G prime than Juvederm. What this means is that Restylane has a higher level of stiffness to the gel that is injected. This tends to cause the product to hold form and stay in place slightly better, while imparting a greater capacity to lift the area. Juvederm in comparison, has a lower G prime, which means that it tends to be softer and spread more than Restylane when injected into the body. Because of these differences between the 2 products, they are best used for different goals when plumping the lips. Restylane generally tends to be a better choice for lip borders that have fallen or become flatter in particular. It can also be quite useful for treating the corners of the mouth. Restylane Silk is a newer product that is somewhat thinner than traditional Restylane. For this reason, it is a little better for treating smaller vertical lip lines than traditional Restylane. Restylane Silk is also thought to give less risk of having a Tyndall effect, which is a bluish discoloration of the skin that can occur overlying the area of injection as the product settles in. Otherwise, this product has many of the same properties as traditional Restylane in terms of its stiffness and lifting capacity. It is also important to note that Perlane has just been rebranded as Restylane Lyft. It would not be advisable to use this product to treat the lip area as it is too thick and can result in lumps or an unnatural result.

Meanwhile, Juvederm comes in 2 main forms, Juvederm Ultra and Juvederm Ultra Plus. Both products now come in “XC” form as well, which means that lidocaine has been added to the product for an anesthetic effect with injection. Both products are similar in how they spread out into the tissue a little more than Restylane. They also tend to absorb more water when injected, and so Juvederm injections can swell more than the Restylane products in general. The difference between Juvederm Ultra and Juvederm Ultra Plus is the size of the particles, with Juvederm Ultra Plus having a larger particle size, and thus a larger duration of action. In my experience, Juvederm Ultra typically lasts 6-9 months while Juvederm Ultra Plus typically lasts 9-12 months. The Juvederm products are both soft enough to be injected into the lips and spread out in the tissue nicely to give a very natural result. These are usually my first choice for plumping lip volume.

The most important point when considering any of these treatments is to find an injector who you trust and who you feel best understands the look that you are trying to achieve. A good aesthetic eye is very important when treating the lips in order to maintain normal anatomic features while adding volume so that you keep the lips looking proportional and get the most natural-looking enhancement.

Best, Dr. Gregory Lewen

Gregory D. Lewen, MD, FACS
Miami Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lip augmentation

Both Juvederm and Restylane are made of hyaluronic acid. It seems as though juvederm has a higher concerntration of hyaluronic acid and draws more water and thus swelling. This is why I prefer restylane for the eyelids, and exactly why I prefer juvederm for the lips. Be careful not to get overfilled and avoid that duckbill look. Congrats and have fun with the new career.

Robert Schwarcz, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lip fillers

You are choosing two great hyaluronic acid fillers for the lip area. We use both of them at our office. The experience of the injector is very important, it takes an artistic eye.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Restylane L and Juvederm XC both will do fine for lip augmentation

Lip augmentation requires more artistry and skills compared to nasolabial fold correction. Thus, picking the right aesthetic board-certified physician is the most important decision. Ask for Restylane-L or Juvederm-XC as both now contain lidocaine and involve much less pain and discomfort. Remember, the first time you get lip augmentation, less is better. You can always go back and get a bit more. Swelling for the first couple days is to be expected and make good use of ice compress.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip fillers

As a first time candidate for lip fillers, I'd advise you to choose Restylane or Juvaderm Ultra. The fillers give plenty of volume and have a natural feel. If any asymmetry results from the procedure a touch up with Restylane .4cc can easily be performed. The results can easily last 6 months and the costs are modest. Definitive lip implants can cause infection, long term asymmetry and swelling that are more of a challange to treat. Until you are ready to embrace such risks go with the injectable fillers!!!

Lee Kleiman, MD
Annapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon