Juvederm and Restylane Allergy?

If I am not allergic to Restylane would that mean I also should not have an allergy with Juvederm?

It is extremely rare

+1

It is extremely rare that anyone is allergic to either of the two products. Just having a red bump does signifiy an allergy. This could be a technique-sensitive side effect. Superficial placement could result in visible lumps. In all likelihood you are not allergic to either product

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com

Allergies to this products is rare.

+1

Dear RenoRedbook

Allergies to the hyaluronic fillers is rare but they do occur. The incidence of allergy is so unusual that no testing is recommended prior to placing the hyaluronic filler. So that you are not allergic to Restylane it does not follow that you won't be allergic to Juvederm.

You could be. However, the incidence of these allergies is so unusually that one could safely predict that you won't be allergic to Juvederm whether you previously had Restylane or not.

However, the reverse is not true. If you have a reaction to one of these products then it would be expected that you would also be allergic to the other product.

Dr. Steinsapir

Yes, you are correct.

+1

If you are NOT allergic to Restylane, then you shouldn't at all be allergic to Juvederm. In fact, it is very, very rare to have an allergy to either of these compounds. However, that being said, there may be subtle differences as to the other compounds present in each of these fillers other than the hyaluronic acid. So, while you might not be allergic to the hyaluronic acid in either of these fillers, you (rarely) may have an allergy to one of the other chemical ingredients / stabilizers / preservatives. All of these are very rare possibilities.

Hope this helps!

Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Yes

+1

If you had no problems with Restylane as far as allergic response, it would be extremely unlikely you would have a problem with Juvederm. They both consist of hyaluronic acid, a polysaccharide ( sugar derived molecule) which is a normal component of the dermis.

I have never seen what I am convinced is in allergic reaction to either product,

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Restylane and Juvederm are very similar

+1

Restylane and Juvederm are very similar, composed of hyaluronic acids, so allergy to one, or the lack of allergy, should be the same for both.

Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

An allergy is always possible but unlikely

+1

If you aren't allergic to one hyaluronic acid, then an allergy to another is extremely unlikely.  I'm assuming that you are asking about allergies because you have several of them?  Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occuring substance in your body, so allergies to it in general are very uncommon.

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm and Restylane Allergy

+1

Hi Reno Red,

Yes, both Restylane and Juvederm are hyaluronic acids, so if you are not allergic to Restylane then you should not be allergic to Juvederm.  Juvederm sometimes swells a little more than Restylane around the eye lid area.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Juvederm and Restylane

+1

Interesting question. You are unlikely to have an allergy to Juvederm or Restylane. Although I have heard of it, I have never encountered a true allergy to either of these products; however, just because you are not allergic to Restylane does not mean you could not theoretically have an allergy to Juvederm since the hyaluronic acid in Juvederm is slightly different (more highly cross-linked).

If you have used Restylane before and are considering trying Juvederm, I would not let the extremely unlikely possibility of Juvederm allergy deter you.

Good luck.

San Diego Dermatologist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.