Can I Have Restylane Injections While Having Laser Hair Removal on my Face?

I am interested in having restylane Under my eyes. However I am also having laser hair removal on my face. Is this ok or will it affect the filler.

Fort Lauderdale Restylane

+2

Hair removal technologies do involve two common wavelengths of light, particularly 810 nm & 1064. These wavelengths do target melanin specifically, however, the side act in doing so is heating of the surrounding dermis to higher than normal temperatures. If your product is placed deep in the subcutis for volume lifting I would have no concern. If rather your product is placed intradermally for fine lines there could be disruption of the product.

Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane and Laser Hair Removal

+1

If you are having Laser Hair Removal in a different area on the face, you can have both Restylane and Laser Hair Removal on the same day.  But if want treatment in the same area, I recommend waiting a day or two after laser hair removal to get Restylane injections.  Laser hair removal may make cause the skin to become a little red and inflamed and it’s better to wait until the skin calms down before creating any new trauma sites.  I hope that you find this information useful!

Paul L. Leong, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane and Laser Hair Removal

+1

The answer is yes; however, I would not have the treatments on the same day.  I usually like to space treatments at least a week or two apart to avoid over inflaming the skin.  Since lasers to remove hair target the pigment in the hair follicles, fillers such as Restylane are not affected.

Lori Stetler, MD
Dallas Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane and Laser Hair Removal

+1

Yes, you can have restylane injections while having laser hair removal on the face.  I would advise laser first, and filler second.

Deborah Sarnoff, MD

Restylane - Can I Have Restylane Injections While Having Laser Hair Removal on my Face?

+1

You can, but I would advise you not to.

I don't know of any studies showing that this is harmful, but it seems to be asking for trouble to undergo two such different procedures on the same day.  The Restylane treatment is, of course, an injection, which means that you could have some bruising, swelling, etc.  The LHR involves the absorption of energy by pigmented cells.  We really don't know how one might affect the other; whether the energy would be absorbed differently if there is swelling, or whether the injections after the LHR might look a little different than usually, etc.

I would probably wait about a week so that the effects of the first treatment (not the results - the effects of the treatment itself) have abated by the time you have the second.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Author of Restylane, BodySculpture, The Slim Book of Liposuction, and EyeScapes.

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Restylane and Laser Hair Removal

+1

Greetings~

You should have no problem having laser hair removal and Restylane injections done in your tear troughs on the same day.  If it is your upper cheeks (or any overlapping areas)  you are having injected as well as laser hair removal done on, I would consider waiting a few days in between treatments. 

Good luck~

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

Restylane and Laser hair removal

+1
As long as both treatments are in different areas there should be no problem having both Restylane injected into your tear troughs and laser hair removal on the same day. If they were in the same area, you could have the laser first and then have your filler treatment immediately after, assuming you do not have swelling. If you typically swell after your laser treatments you should wait a few days before having your filler treatment to that area.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

Technically you could but since both the LHR and the Restylane injections cause trauma to the skin, I'd avoid doing both in the same location at the same time.

Lasers for hair removal are not known to heat hyaluronic acid fillers

+1

Dr. Schwartz's post is right on.  I cannot imagine a cause for laser hair removal underneath the eye, and further, the hyaluronic acid filler does not contain any pigment that is the target of the laser for the hair removal.  That is why blond or gray hairs cannot be treated with laser hair removal because there is not pigment for the laser to target.  Safe, not a problem.  Especially because they are in different locations.

Daniel I. Wasserman, MD
Naples Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane for tear drops

+1

Restylane is safe to use at the same time as laser hair removal given certain provisos.  First, best to use away from the area of the laser.  For example, it is OK to use Restylane for tear drops if the laser is being used for the moustache or body hair.  Second, use the Restylane for deeper injections if laser is to be used.  For example, a deep injection in the nasolabial folds can be used at the same time as a moustache laser.  Third, don't use Restylane for superficial corrections (such as fine lines around the mouth) at the same time. 

David Alessi, MD