I Had Restylane Injections in my Lips 10 Days Ago. Its Gone! What Happened??

I was very satisfied when the procedure was originally done. Was swollen for a day or two and enjoyed my lips for another couple days. In the past 3 to 4 days my lips have gone back to "normal" as if I never had the injections at all. I can still feel one little spot inside my mouth on my lip where the injection went in, but my upper lip is back to its teeny-tiny original self. I understand if perhaps I am not a good candidate for the product, but should my doctor be willing to refund me?

Restylane Gone After 10 Days?

+1

Hi Kris.  While the Restylane is not likely gone after 10 days, it does sound like the swelling is.  Swelling can last more than 1-2 days as you noted so the days 3-4 that you mentioned you enjoyed your lips were probably just swelling continuing to go down.

Without seeing a picture or knowing how much product was injected it's hard to say you had too little.  But that's certainly what it sounds like.  If this is the case and you do have a lot of swelling at each injection, then you may want to consider asking your injector to break the treatment into two or combine it with other areas.  This may help get you fuller lips and at the same time avoid a really bloated duck lipped appearance that occurs with profound swelling that occurs when too much product is used at one sitting.  Good luck.

+1

It's not possible for the Restylane to be gone several days after Lip Augmentation.  It's more likely that too little was used and perhaps placed too deeply.  This would just require more placed in the proper position.  

Restylane gone after 10 days

+1

It is highly unlikely that the restylane is completely gone. When the swelling goes down you will notice some decrease in the volume. This may give you that sense that you have lost your restylane but you likely still have some augmentation. But relative to your swelling it may seem like its all gone. I would compare your before and afters to make sure before concluding its gone. You can always put more in or consider permalip augmentation or fat injections.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Either you had to little injected, a false product was given, or you restricted the amount to be used by the funds to be spent. Very hard to advise over the internet. Return to the injecting doctor to discuss options. 

Fillers in the lips

+1

Your  thoughts are fairly common.  Often patients are reluctant to have "too much filler" placed in their lips so that when it is performed they like how it looks when they are initially swollen, but after a few weeks as the swellign goes down they wnat more.  You probably need another syringe of filler form what you are describing.

How long Restylane lip injections should last

+1

Hyaluronic acid fillers such as Restylane or Juvederm are the best options for lip augmentation. It is most likely that you simply did not have enough Restylane injected to get the improvement you wanted. These fillers can be used to replace lost volume, define the vermilion borders and create a more youthful curl, elevate and lift the corners of the mouth, and correct vertical wrinkle lines. Please remember, your results depend upon the skill and experience of your physician injector. You can follow the video link below to see me injecting my wife’s lips with Restylane which will show you how much improvement can be seen with 1.5 cc's of Restylane. My web site also has before and after pictures of her lips one year after her treatment, without touch ups, which shows how long these fillers can last.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Restylane

+1
Restylane takes about six months to be reabsorbed so what you are experiencing is the reduction of swelling. If your plastic surgeon injected conservatively, as many patients report that too much product has altered the shape of their lips, then it is possible that you need more product. Generally, if the doctor did not use an entire syringe, you should be able to have additional product injected at no cost, as it should have been stored in his medical refrigerator. If he used a small syringe full of product (which I never do because it is not cost effective for the patient), then you may need more Restylane, not a refund.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Restylane for Lips

+1

Restylane is an excellent filler for adding volume to thin lips, which has been known for quite some time but only recently made "official" by getting FDA approval for such.  Lips can be volumized and shaped by skillful injection of Restylane, but can also be overfilled (think Goldie Hawn in "First Wives Club"). Your injector may have been taking a conservative approach to keep your lips looking natural, and rather than a refund you should ask for more Restylane. There is often swelling immediately after the injection, and when it goes down the lips don't look as lush as at first; in addition, lips are in motion a lot more than other parts of the face, so fillers don't tend to last as long here. Ultimately,you should be able to get a good result with a touch up of more Restylane. 

James Bartels, MD
Manchester Facial Plastic Surgeon