Can Restylane Injections Make Acne Scars on the Cheeks Look Deeper?

i have acne scars on my cheeks and had restalane injected into them. i dont think the nurse did this too often in acne scars. at first i couldnt really tell but after about 3 weeks my scars now look deeper. could this be due to me not having subcisions done prior and maybe the filler filled areas around my scars to make them look deeper. i can def feel a diference when i rub my finger over my scars. before when i did this it did not feel like i had scars. will they go back to normal after some time?

+1

Applying Restylane will help soften any acne scarring rather than making them look deeper, you can follow up with your provider and have hyaluronidase injected if you are not happy with your results

Restylane Injections in Acne Scars

+1

Restylane can definitely be injected into acne scars. If you believe they have made your scars worse, the Restylane can always be taken out by your injector with the injection of an enzyme called Hyaluronidase. There are other options for filling in acne scars as well, including fat injections and lasers. I often perform these procedures and have seen some amazing results. I have included a link for your reference to information about treating acne scars. Good luck to you!

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane and acne scars

+1

I often inject Restylane into acne scars and I rarely do subcisions for them beforehand, but this isn't a skill that every injector has. It's a specific technique because of the depth of the scarring and the small size of the pitting. If the Restylane were placed around the scars, or too deep, the scarring could look worse, maybe. But when injections like this are done by injectors experienced with this specific injection type and area, the outcome is usually great and lasts for a long time.

Restylane for acne scars

+1

I inject Restylane for years for acne scars. I have never found that it appears deeper. It could have been that the Restylane was injected too deep and that is why you are unhappy. 

Restylane in acne scars

+1

Restylane can work well in some acne scars. Yes, some need subcision first and yes you might have material pushed around the scar but none left in it. No need to panic as that will resolve or can be dissolved. If I were treating you I would inject saline into the scars and see whether or not they rise up. If they do, I would inject a filler.If not, they need some release first. Photos would certainly help some.

Birmingham Dermatologist

Restylane and acne scars

+1

Acne scars will often look improved after filler injection because the pitting and cavities created by acne are elevated.

It depends on technique

+1

Acne scars can be improved with fillers but a lot of the improvement depends on the technique and expertise of the injector and how well they understand the pathophysiology of acne scars. It is very possible that an inexperienced injector can actually make the appearance of the scars worse. I would recommend you see a board certified dermatologist to help evaluate your situation.

Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane and treating scars

+1

It is very difficult to answer your question without first viewing pictures of the areas you've described. Consider posting pictures for better assessment, and yes, sometimes it's best to try filling a scar before treating all. Yes, the filler could definitely have settled all around the scar, causing them to appear deeper. Follow up with your provider for assessment and possible removal/massage of the product.