Should Restylane Be Injected to the Lateral Area of the Eyes?

I have quite a noticeable hollow in the lateral area of my left eye when I smile...it is though the muscle does not come up high enough. I also have hollows in the temple area bilateraly after a mid face lift (redraping of obicularis) Can Restylane be used here?

Restylane for around the eye filler

+2

Restylane is not uncommonly used, as an off-label use, around the eyes. It provides very nice aesthetic results and can be easily reduced by hyaluronidase if a result demonstrates overcorrection or lumpiness (which is unusual). This is not the case with fat injections or Radiesse which when injected under the thin skin of the eyelid area can show lumpiness and there is no easy correction for these materials.

Restylane for lateral eyes & Temple

+2

Hi, Restylane works great for the lateral eye hollowness. I typically inject the lateral and tear trough area at the same time. It makes a big difference in the way people look. I typically injected the lateral hollowness just like I do the tear trough areas, which is depot injections along the bone. Just remember that you might ned more than one syringe of Restylane for each side, depending upon the hollowness.  With respect to the temples, you can inject many different materials in the temple. I am not a big fan of Restylane or Juvederm in the area, because I feel you need a lot to be injected there. Radiesse is definitely an option. But my favorite is Sculptra in the area. It last longer than all of the other products and is cost effective in the long run. Its safe in the temples and the results are great. Typically, when a patient comes in for a cosmetic consultation with me, I always point out the temple areas. As we age, we lose muscle, fat and bone in the temples, cheekbones and lateral cheeks.  I always tell patients to bring a picture from 20 years ago, where they had fuller temples and cheeks.  By filling these areas, they look a lot younger. Dr. Behnam.

Ben Behnam, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane to lateral portion of the eye area

+1

Greetings~

Restylane is commonly used for the lateral eye area to help with hollowness and smooth contours. (often in conjunction with the medial/tear trough area) For the temple area, Restylane could be used but I would prefer Radiesse or Sculptra for these areas.

Good luck~

Dr. Grant Stevens     

Grant Stevens, MD

Restylane Work Well Around the Eyes

+1

Restylane works very well around the eyes, especially the lower eyelids.  It fills hollows or what is often called a "tear-trough".

You say that the hollow is only present when smiling.  This may not be something that you can use Restylane to correct.  Restylane will be present at all times, so if the depression is only there when you are smiling, Restylane may create too much fullness when you are not smiling.

Botox or Dysport may be helpful since your problem is related to muscle activity.

You can use Restylane in the temples, but I prefer Radiesse in that area.

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane and eyes

+1

These defects respond very well to Restylane treatments, however it is important that a physician have extensive experience when administering injectables in this area.

Peter L. Kopelson, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Filler can be injected (delicately!) into the lateral canthus

+1

Seems your concern is the bunching of the skin along your lateral canthus when smiling.  Anatomically, with age your skin has thinned, and the orbicularis muscle contracts and throws the overlying skin into folds like an accordion in this area.  A combination of botox to slightly weaken the muscle and filler delicately injected in and around the lateral canthus can plump things up and reduce the hollow of the lateral canthus.  Plus Botox can lift the tail of the brow, also reducing the collapse of the lateral canthus with smiling.

Make sure you stop aspirin and non-steroidal anti inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen before this type of procedure.  Because the needle has to penetrate the orbicularis muscle repeatedly here, there is a significant risk of bruising from the procedure.

Good luck!

Tanuj Nakra, MD, FACS
Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon

Restylane injections in periorbital and temple areas

+1

Restylane works well in the undereye hollows and in the lateral eye area.  In fact I use Restylane under the eyes almost exclusively.  It gives excellent lift to the tissue if deposited deeply and does not move very much.

Restylane can be used for temples as well, but I would also consider a different filler, like Radiesse or Sculptra.  Temples are very deep and require quite a bit of filler to fill adequately.  Both Radiesse and Sculptra can do that very well. 

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon