I Have Had Restylane Injected in my Lips and Only Seems to Last 1month? (photo)

I had the last treatment done in April & they are back to normal? I have been told that this is because I have a fast metabolism? Is this true or?? I was recommended to get the Juvederm Ultra Plus, as this will last longer in my lips. I am being told that this should last up to 9mths? However I was also told that Restylane would last around that time frame, no where near it. Do you recommend this?

Restylane in lips

+2

First, restylane should last about 6 months. You may have liked the initial swelling and that subsided. Perhaps you need more product.  Longer acting HA's may be fine as well.

Restylane vs Juvederm

+2

Restylane was one of the original fillers used early on and its duration is said to be about 6 months.  I have seen other patients with a shorter than 6 month restylane duration.  Some people feel that because of the constant motion of the lips, the filler is used up more rapidly but even one month is very unusual.  Juvederm would be a better choice since it is purported to last 9 months but I have also seen Juvederm last only 6 to 7 months frequently.  I would also recommend that you return to your injecting physician to let him re-evaluate you. From your photo, your lips look very good.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

When filler "disappears" after 1 month it's swelling

+2

When filler seems to disappear after one month what you are seeing is some lingering swelling that has gone away.  Many patients forget what their lips originally looked like and get used to their new look.  By the looks of your photo it looks like you have filler in your lips.  If you liked then"swollen" look more, than more filler might do the trick.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

I Have Had Restylane Injected in my Lips and Only Seems to Last 1month?

+1

You could switch to a different product but you may only get 6 months out of a product injected into the lips.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Restylane in lips and longevity

+1

Depending on injection technique and volume injected, any dermal filler longevity in the lips is difficult to predict. Without knowing what your lips looked like prior, it's difficult to see the difference you describe. Sometimes dermal fillers don't last as long in this area, but one month is not common.

Sam Naficy, MD

I had Restylane in my lips and it only seems to last one month?

+1

Restylane typically lasts 6-7 months on average. It is likely you were experiencing swelling, and the remainder of any residual swelling resolved following the one month time period. In general, I like to use Juvederm for the lips. It is very soft, and yields a great looking and natural result. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

+1

It is not uncommon for patients to be dissatisfied with how long filler lasts in the lips.  Part of that is because there is significant swelling after the injections, and some of what you perceive as the result of the filler is actually the filler PLUS the swelling.  When the swelling goes down it seems as though the filler has disappeared.  It also does seem to dissipate (go away) faster in areas of motion (such as the lips) than for relatively stable areas (like the nasolabial folds).  More filler would help but maintaining the immediate post-injection appearance (or at a few days) with filler can be challenging.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Temporary fillers for lips

+1

I agree that Juvederm Ultra Plus should last a bit longer in the lips than Restylane.  I tell my patients to expect Restylane to last around 5 - 6  months in the lips for the degree of correction that I know they want.  Juvederm Ultra Plus lasts around 9 months in my experience, and it is my filler of choice for lips.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD

Did your injector bother to take photographs?

+1

Many casual treatment medispas don't bother to take before and after photographs.  This makes it essentially impossible for you to know the effect of your treatment.  Your photos certainly look like you have had filler service.  I don't like the service but it clearly looks like you have volume.  I recommend that you stop getting care at illegal medispas without physician injectors and find an experienced clinician in one of the core aesthetic specialities: dermatology, facial plastic surgery, plastic surgery, and oculoplastic surgery.

How long does Restylane last in the lips

+1

Most patients will enjoy the benefits of Restylane for 6 months, but this varies from person to person. Immediately following the injections, there can be swelling that can last 1 or more weeks. Having treatment last only one month is not typical. Perlane, a thicker version of Restylane, would be a great alternative as it may last longer. Additonally, more product may be needed (i.e. if you had 1-cc, you may need 2-cc).

Robert S. Bader, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon