Restylane Infection?

Two weeks after getting 1cc of restylane in my lips one side hurt a lot and puffed up dramatically and a med Dr. put me on antibiotics calling it cellulitis. It went down in about 3 days so that sounds right but now it's been another week and it's still not completely back to normal. Do you think I need more antibiotics? Also, after leaking white stuff for a week my lip looks smaller than ever. What is going on?

Lip Infection after Restylane

+2

An infection is always possible, and antibiotics with drainage of any infected material would be the treatment of choice.

Restylane and infection

+2

It is very difficult to answer this question without seeing you in person or at least viewing a picture that shows your area of concern. I'd consider posting a few pictures fur further assessment, and return to the original provider to have them help determine what could be happening.

Sam Naficy, MD

Painful lip after Restylane

+2

From what you are saying, you had Restylane injected in your lips and 2 weeks later you had swelling and pain, Then a Med. Dr put you on antibiotics and the swelling went down.

Does that mean that the person who gave you the Restylane in jection and the MD who prescribed you the antibiotics are not the same person?

Was the person who gave you the injection an MD? From your letter it sounds like  it wasn't.

I also assume that there is no pain now, but you may still have some lingering infection.

I suggest that you see a Dermatologist  familiar with Restylane injections  in order to solve this problem.

Also, be careful as to who is injecting you with fillers.

Eugene Mandrea M.D.

Eugene Mandrea, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Possible infection after Restylane

+2

While it is not impossible, it would be fairly unlikely to develop an infection after a Restylane injection if it were done correctly.  I can't give you many answers without examining you in person.  You didn't mention if you had returned to see the physician that injected your Restylane.  If you haven't, I would recommend that, so that you can be evaluated by the physician who treated you.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane Injection to Lips

+1

Infection is very rare after Restylane injection, and it would usually present sooner than two weeks after the injection.  At this point your swelling should have resolved.  A physician familiar with Restylane will be able to palpate your lips to determine if the amount of Restylane remaining is symmetrical from side to side.  It would be highly unusual for Restylane to leak out, especially for a week.

I think you should be examined by a physician who does a lot of Restylane injection if you haven't already been.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon