Restylane in my Lips - Will It Take 2 Weeks to See the Final Result? (photo)

I looked great the first few days...but now one week later my lips have deflated significantly!! I expected the swelling would subside but now I feel like I've wasted $700. Should I hope that my lips will plump up again as the product settles in to the 2 week point? My Ps said that about the Restylane under my eyes. Thank you.

Your Swelling Is Gone- What You See Is What You Are Going To Get With Restylane

+2

Unfortunately, what you see now is about what you are going to get. One of the nice things about Restylane is that the results are very consistent- the volume of the product does not change much from the time it is injected until it starts to go away (usually in about 6 months or so). While this consistency allows us to be very precise with our injections, it also means that at this point your lips will not be getting any bigger. The reason your lips looked bigger initially was due to the swelling from the injections themselves. The change you experienced over the first week was due to the fact that the swelling was slowly going away. Sometimes the most difficult part of the procedure from the injectors point of view, is not the injection itself, but judging the amount of product you will need in order for you to be happy with your results. Given your comments, it sounds like you needed another syringe of Restylane in order to get the results you were expecting. On the good side, it's much better getting too little than too much. I would much rather have  a patient have to come back and get another syringe 2 weeks later than to have to live with lips that look over-injected for the next 6 months ( and to this end I always try to have this conversation with my patients up front- coming back for another syringe feels less painful if you know it was a possibility ahead of time). At this point you have 2 options- going back for another syringe now, or leaving it as it is, but knowing the correct amount you will need when you do it next time. Good luck.

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane in my Lips - Will It Take 2 Weeks to See the Final Result?

+1

After fillers, its very common to have swelling on the area for the first 2-3 weeks. Once healed, patients tend to think the product is gone but in reality, the inflammation has settled and you are able to see your final result. In my opinion you were probably under-dosed and would benefit from another syringe to achieve the result you wish for 

Restylane for lips

+1

Often patients prefer their lips while there is still swelling after the injections and feel disappointed when the swelling subsides.  If you are still not happy after 2 weeks, return to your physician for assessment.  You may require more filler to make you happy.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

+1

I am slightly confused. How many syringes were injected into the upper lip?? One to two?? I think you needed at least 2 full cc's or syringes injected. 

Restylane for the lips

+1

What you noticed at the beginning was likely swelling, and it is possible you may benefit from more product to obtain your desired result. I would recommend following up with your provider and expressing your concerns to him or her. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Restylane result

+1
This is likely the final result. What you saw initially was swelling. You look natural and that should be the goal.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Lips and fillers

+1

Usually the lips get very swollen after filler and go down over one to two weeks to where they should be for the next several months. If you liked how they looked initially , then you may want more filler.

Restylane and lips

+1

From the photo's you've posted, it looks as though you might just be in need of more Restylane. Swelling is what you experienced and liked initially, and after it's gone down, the final result is what you see, in your 2nd photo. Return to your provider for another syringe if you like a more augmented look.

Sam Naficy, MD

Lips and Restylane

+1

What you see now is probably the final result for that amount of filler. YOur lips look very natural but I don't know what they looked like before so can not comment on change. If you want bigger lips you might ask for a little more or if you want volume in certain areas talk to your doctor about that. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Restylane works great to plump lips

+1

Definitely when you get your injections your lips are going to be swollen for a couple of days, I wouldnt say that there is a deflation just that this will be your result after swelling is down.

Know you know that maybe next time some more product will give you the reults that you expected. You can use up to 1.5 ml per lip(Restylane recommendations).

Jhonny Salomon, MD