Does Hylauronidase Dissolve the Natural Hyaluronic in the Skin?

Does hylauronidase dissolve the natural hyaluronic acid in the skin? I can't seem to find anything that says it doesn't and am concerned it will dissolve not only my unwanted Restylane, but also my (much wanted) hyaluronic acid in my skin, and cause potential long term damage/aging. Any advice?

Hyaluronidase

+1

Not to my knowledge. Hyaluronidase will only affect the injected hyaluronic acid (at least on a clinical level). That is, you shouldnt be afraid of losing your own hyaluronic acid since there is little in the skin compared to what is injected. '

Having said that, you should be careful about having the hyaluronidase procedure performed since the injector has little control as to how much hyaluronic acid is dissolved possibly leaving you with an even worse result. I have never had to use it, even in patients who were unhappy with their results. You can usually massage the area or just wait a few weeks for things to settle. Remember, it only lasts 6-9 months. You would have to be absolutely miserable for me to use hyaluronidase in my practice to use it. Good luck!

Get rid of unwanted Restylane

+1

The best way to get rid of unwanted Restylane is "time". Restylane is absorbable and not permanent. It may take 6-8 months but your body will absorb it. So I would not recommend buying any creams or treatments that advertise getting rid of Restylane.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon