Restylane for Hollow Eyes?

I am a 25 year old female who has always suffered from hollow eyes. People constantly ask if I'm tired and I just can't stand it anymore. I've even been to a plastic surgeon, but they basically told me I was "too young to be messing with injectables, etc.", and it "wasn't very noticeable". I want to get some sort of injectable, but I'm not sure which to use. Would something like Restylane be the best choice?

You would probably do very well with Restylane

+5

Based on the photograph, you do not have any protruding fat herniation and very few under eye wrinkles. A well placed hyaluronic acid filler such as Restylane or Juvederm Ultra would soften the valley between your cheek and under eye area, and improve the "hollowness" of your eyes. In fact, I find patients such as yourself to be one of the best candidates for this sort of non-surgical eye lift.

Keep in mind, it would not completely get rid of the darkness under your eyes, since some of this is probably due to pigment. This is not the easiest area to fill, so make sure you choose an experienced injector, such as a dermatologist or plastic surgeon, since this is not the easiest area to fill.

Summit Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane can help, but you need realistic expectations

+3

Restylane can help this area but you should go to someone with experience injecting it into this area. Juvederm can lead to excessive swelling in my experience in the eye area. Restylane is a little more predictable here. The key to augmenting this area is to fill in the valley and you need to be exact in this by making clear markings of where you want to augment from the surgeons standpoint.

Also, many times, getting rid of the dark circles is challenging with Restylane, given that it really is water that is brought into the area of injection and the darkness in the circles really shows through. All hyaluronic acids give a translucent type of filling. The best treatment for this area, in my opinon are fat injections. No procedure, though, is going to be magic and you have to be realistic.

Consulting a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon would be something that I would recommend. We specialize in the face and are highly qualified to help you with this.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filler would provide an excellent result

+2

Based on your photograph, you are probably the ideal candidate for rejuvenation with a filler. That is because you have no pseudoherniation (excess fat pockets), excellent lower lid muscle tone and a lack of excess skin. I would not recommend Radiesse because if placed too superficially it could leave visible lumpiness and can't be removed easily. The hyaluronic acid fillers can easily be reversed if necessary. Hyaluronic acid fillers in this area generally last longer then filler in the nasolabial folds and lips. Many of my patients have it last for well more then a year.

Samson Lee, MD

Restylane for Hollow Eyes

+2

I think Restylane would be my first choice for your under-eye hollows. Its behavior is more predictable than Juvederm for this area. I have also had success with Radiesse for the under-eye hollows but results with Radiesse in particular are technique-dependent so generally speaking, Restylane would be safer.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Restylane for Hollow, Tired Eyes

+1

I applaud you for not being content with the feedback that you received during your initial consultation.  If this condition has been a concern of yours, then there is no better time than now to explore your options.  Oftentimes, if a particular practice/practitioner does not perform a treatment or service, they do not encourage you to find one that would.  Using cosmetic dermal fillers to the tear trough area (depressed area under the eyes) is a very satisfying treatment for both men and women alike and for young and older as well.  We choose to use only Restylane in this area, and treatments are usually done in less than 45 minutes.  Treating this very unforgiving area requires meticulous technique and experience, so be certain to invest time in finding an experienced injector. 

See below link for further information and before/after photos.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Under eye Restylane - No question about it

+1

Dear Unfortunate Eyes

I strongly endorse under eye Restylane. You might need 2.5 ml of Restylane under each eye but the result would be fantastic. Treatment will last at least a year.

I would strongly discourage Radiesse for this area. You need so much filler that it is very likely that you could form a lump or a bump. These issues are very easy to adjust with Restylane but impossible to adjust with Radiesse.

Frankly, I would be concerned that Radiesse in this area could destroy your appearance if you develop lumps. The risk is not worth taking. Juvederm is too runny for the tear trough area. It has a tendency to accumulate as a big roll at the top of the cheek.