Can Restylane Help Fix Mild Lower Eyelid Retraction? (photo)

I'm talking about 1-2mm of scleral show. This scleral show is not due to any procedures. Most likely from cheek decent/tear trough deformity/etc. I am only 24 years old. If restylane could help, about how much is needed to show improvement? I guess I could "kill two birds with one stone" since I need restylane anyways because of a negative vector look ( I practically have no cheeks).

Restylane and tear troughs

+2

It's best to visit with a reputable and well-trained provider to discuss all of the options available to you- to help determine what treatment may best meet your needs!

Restylane to the Rescue

+2

Everyone has something to sell and everybody just loves to toot their own horn (Medical Boards). The truth is, you must first determine if you actually possess a medical condition (thyroid disease, congenital concerns, genetic issues, family traits, past injuries, the aging process, your personality traits, etc.).  Thereafter, consider the least complicated approach to your cosmetic concerns by contacting an experienced Cosmetic Surgeon who is also conservative in his approach and thinking only of the patient (YOU)!

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filler for lower eyelid retraction

+2

Lower eyelid fillers can help elevate the lower eyelids and improve eyelid retraction.  The filler needs to be injected in a different plane/location than the usual filler for tear troughs, and should see an oculoplastic surgeon familiar with the technique.  The best safest filler to use is Restylane, since it is reversible.

Web reference: http://www.TabanMD.com

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower Lid, Negative Vector

+2

Restylane probably not a good idea, I think you need to rule out any medical issues first and then see a facial plastic surgeon in your area or an oculoplastic surgeon in your area.  This area is so delicate I would also ask to see before and after pictures of their work....

Good Luck

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

A work up is not necessarily required.

+2

While upper eye retraction is commonly associated with thyroid eye disease and warrant a medical work up, the same is not true for inferior scleral show. Inferior sceral show is often mechanical and not the result of disease process. Generally under eye filling will make a difference for inferior sceral show. What is important is finding a very experienced injector.

Restylane in the lower eyelid

+2

Restylane is an excellent filler around the orbital rim. I have injected it many times in young patients with a negative vector orbit. It works for camouflaging dark circles (aka "tear trough deformity") and building up the midface so the lower eyelid doesn't appear so elongated.  However, in my experience, Restylane does NOT push the lid margin upward or correct mild retraction.

You may want to consider an injection for your "tear trough" region. It might create a more pleasant contour. When injected properly, the likelihood of major adverse effects is low (most common side effect is temporary bruising). Good luck!   

Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower eyelid retraction

+2

There is a large number of medical conditions that can cause eyelid retraction.  Before attempting to improve it, I would recommend an examination by an internist and an ophthalmologist to diagnose the cause.

If the cause is strictly loss of volume in structures below, an oculoplastic surgeon should be consulted as to the best approach to improve it.  Injecting Restylane into the lower lid would not help push up the eyelid.  In addition, the risk of side effects when injections are placed about the bony orbital rim, goes up significantly.  I would urge caution here.

Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane to Correct Lower Lid Retraction

+1

Restylane can be used in the lower lid to correct mild lower lid retraction.  The placement is different (in the lid) than the placement of Restylane to correct tear trough deformities (when Restylane is placed along the inferior orbital rim).  

I recommend you see an oculoplastic surgeon in your area.  You can find a member of the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at their website, asoprs(dot)org.

Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.