Is Restylane Good for Improving Dry Skin?

I have always had dry skin. The last two years I have been losing the battle on my hands. My dermatologist has prescribed Neosalus, which has been helping a lot. My skin gave out this year, though and isn't bouncing back. I'm wondering if Restylane would not only help improve the appearance of the skin on my hands, but also help retain moisture on a regular basis.

Restylane for dry skin

+1

Restylante will have no effect on the dryness of your skin. There are other products thatt are better suited for dry skin.

Restylane for Dry Skin

+1

while the use of soft tissue fillers, such as restylane or juvederm may help to restore a fullness and "plumpness" to the dermis, or under-carpet of the skin, they would not be expected to significantly impact upon skin conditions such as Dry Skin.

It would be advisable to seek out a consultation with a board certified dermatologist who can advise you on the treatment of dry skin.

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Restylane does not function as a skin moisturizer

+1

The hyaluronic acids such as Restylane and Juvederm are injected in the dermis and are not expected, nor have they been found to, moisturize the epidermis on top of the dermis

Ronald Shelton, MD

Restylane Vital (mesotherapy) might help

+1

Restylane Vital exists in Europe and is a hydrating version of the filler Restylane, injected in the superficial dermis. It is mainly used to provide some subtle dermal fullness and can help some dry areas of the skin by making it subtle. Xerosis , however is an epidermal process and thus, the fact is very limited and topical moisturizers are the way to go when it comes to chronic skin dryness. Another version produced by Juverderm also exists called Juverderm Hydrate, which is similar though not cross-linked and does not last as long.

Hassan Galadari, MD
Dubai Dermatologist

Hyaluronic acid fillers is only effective for improving depressions not skin texture

+1

Fillers like restylane and juvederm are useful for filling areas that are like depressions or creases in the skin. This is especially useful for aging skin where lines become more predominant as we age. It is not useful for improving the outside skin texture even though it attracts water which is what makes it a good filler. There is no evidence that using it by injection will improve the outward appearance of your skin. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane Not For Moisturizing Skin

+1

As far as I know, their is no data to suggest that the use of Restylane will help hydrate the skin and keep it from being so dry.  The placement of the restylane is deeped in the skin, as opposed to the moisturized areas, which are the superficial layers.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Hyaluronic Acid Fillers injections will NOT bring about softer skin above

+1

Hyaluronic acid fillers (Restylane, Juvederm etc) act by attracting and attaching to water molecules bringing a localized controlled swelling and filling of depressions and wrinkles. There is NO evidence that injecting Restylane in the skin will improve its dryness or flaking above. Sorry.

Hyaluronic Acid Injectable will not Address Skin Dryness

+1

The quick answer to your question is no.  Hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers such as Juvderm and Restylane can minimize fine lines, wrinkles, and add volume to the face, but will have no impact on sebaceous gland activity in the skin.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane good for improving dry skin

+1

Great idea but it is injected into the skin not applied to the skin. So there are NO moist gains from the injection.

Sorry from MIAMI Dr. B

Only topically

+1

Hyaluronic acid, the main component of Restylane,  is increasingly being used in skin creams because of its hydrophilic properties ( retaining water). However, Restylane is not formulated to deliver its molecules into the skin. It is assumed that the needle will do its job in penetrating the skin without a boost from additional ingredients. Besides, Restylane is expensive stuff. 

If you want to use hyaluronic acid as a moisturizer there are a number of excellent, relatively inexpensive and highly effective options. My favorites would be Bionect cream, Zia Restorative Night cream,  and Cerave cream and lotion. There are a host of others.

The question is whether the hyaluronic acid can penetrate the epidermis. Some claim that Hylira hydrating lotion can, since it has been micronized. 

At any rate, even if the HA can not penetrate the skin its water-binding capacity makes it an excellent ingredient in any moisturizer. 

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist