Is Restylane a Good Alternative to Lip Augmentation?

I have a thin upper lip, the bottom lip doesn't irk me as much(it's more even and plump) Although I've considered fat grafting to plump the upper lift, I've decided the result will probably be less predictable than the Restylane. I will instead go for the Restylane treatment on the upper lip. It's more convenient, though a little more expensive costwise and doesn't last as long. Which would you suggest: restylane, fat grafting? I'm a 20 year old male.

Amazing Results With Fillers

+2

Restylane and the other hyaluronic acid fillers (Juvederm, Perlane, and Belotero) are amazing for lip enhancement because they are soft, pliable and look and feel natural.  The choice of product depends on how long you want it to last and the size enhancement you are trying to achieve.  These fillers tend to last between 6 and 12 months and then need to be repeated. 

Bentonville Dermatologist

Restylane L Alone or Combined with Juvederm UltraXC Works Well For Lip Augmentation

+2

Hyaluronic acid fillers work well for lip augmentation, whether for accentuating the white roll areas surrounding the lip, defining the vermilion border between the red and white portions of the lip, creating or accentuating the Cupid's Bow or the Philtral Columns, or adding body and appropriate pout to the red lips. I find that areas that those areas taht need lift, such as the tubercles, do well with Restylane. Those that need a smoother contouring and tapering do well with Juvederm. For this reason, when tailoring my approach to individual needs, I often combine fillers to achieve the desired effect(s). A consultation with an aesthetic physician experienced in nonsurgical lip augmentation is a must.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Lip Augmentation

+2

Restylane works great for lip plumping and it can be reversed if you are not happy with it. It's a great way to see if you are going to like the look of a plumped up lip before moving to something more permanent.

If you do like the look, then I would recommend either fat grafting or a permanent lip implant. There are pro's and con's to each of these and you should discuss them with your experienced plastic surgeon. Best of luck to you!

Daniel P. Markmann, MD

Restylane for lip augmentation

+2

Restylane or Juvederm are hyaluronic acids which are terrific options for lip augmentation because they have been widely used for so many years, with so very few problems in experienced and trained hands. They are soft and natural feeling, and can be dissolved with hyaluronidase if you don't like it in any way.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip augmentation - the sure thing

+2

is to use implants as it is a permanent fix and can be easily removed if you don't like it.  Fat grafting is very unpredictable in the lip and dermal fillers like Restylane only temporizing.  Implants can be done in the office for less than $2500 and even less if you only do your upper lip. 

Curtis Wong, MD

REstylane for lip augmentation

+2

Restylane is a great product for lip augmentation. It's soft and natural.  If you decide you don't like it, it will disappear in probably less than 6 months.  I would try this first before getting something permanent like fat transfer.

Ritu Saini, MD

Restylane for Lip Augmentation

+2

Restylane is a great product for lip augmentation.  It provides a predictable outcome and it is a “soft” product which is great for lips.  Additionally, if for whatever reason you are dissatisfied with the results the product will either eventually dissipate or it can be dissolved with hyaluronidase.

Anthony Bared, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lig Augmentation with Restylane

+2

I would recommend using a hyaluronic acid filler such as Restylane or Juvederm for lip augmentation. If you like the result, you can consider fat grafting as a more permanent solution down the road. 

The advantages of a filler for lip augmentation include that it can be done quickly with little downtime, and also that you can make sure that you like the results before choosing something permanent. 

-Jamil Asaria MD FRCSC

FACE Toronto

Jamil Asaria, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip augmentation with fat versus restylane

+2

Lip augmentation can be accomplished with fat transfer or Restylane and I believe you could get a good result with either one.  My recommendation for you would be to try the Restylane first.  This way, you can get a good idea of what a fuller lip will look like on you and you can always go with the fat transfer at a later point if you wish.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation: Fat vs Fillers

+1

Hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm, Perlane, and others work well for lip augmentation  because they  look and feel natural. As you mention it is a temporary effect lasting between 6 and 12 months and then need to be repeated.

This is why Fat May Be the Best Filler for Lip Augmentation. All absorbable lip fillers (e.g. Restylane and Jeuvederm) go away by design. Therefore the best filler would be use of your own fat. Although the amount that takes varies, there is always improvement in my experience, it can be repeated if necessary, and results in a soft and natural appearance.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS