Best for Skin Rejuvenation and Hollow Cheeks? Fraxel Repair vs Restylane

I am 42 years old with sun-damaged skin, and have gone through eczema treatments and steroid creams. I have jowls, fine lines, wrinkles, open pores, and hollow cheeks. I was advised to have Fraxel Repair and Restylane for these problems. Are these the best treatments for my concerns? How long will the results last on my skin?

Fraxel Repair and Sculptra for rejuvenation and hollow cheeks

+1

To improve sundamage texture and tone of the skin, Fraxel Repair is one of the best procedures we can do if you can afford 7-10 days downtime. If you cannot have any downtime, then Fraxel Restore multiple sessions can give you great results as well. As to improve hollow cheeks we have gotten excellent results with Sculptra and Radiesse injections, however Restylane, Perlane, and Juvederm ultraplus injections can be used as well with fairly good results

Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

These are appropriate treatments

+1

These sound like very appropriate treatments. The resurfacing with Fraxel may last for many years, although no one can guarantee this, but it is commonly seen to have long duration of effectiveness. The Restylane may last 6 to 10 months or even a year.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Fraxel re:pair and Restylane for Skin Rejuvenation and Hollow Cheeks

+1

Hi Saggy,

Fraxel re: pair and fillers will address your problems, but you need to be an active participant. Sun protection with sun block, moisturizers, diet, exercise, and healthy living habits (moderation) will all help to restore a more youthful and rested appearance.

One of the consistent results of Fraxel re: pair is a slight lifting of the cheeks with more anterior projection (fullness). If combining Fraxel re: pair with Restylane or other fillers, I advise to have the laser treatment first, and wait for a month or two before having fillers injected.

Fortunately the technologies for non-invasive improvement are becoming better and better. It is important to choose the right physician to use the tools to their full potential. Let's work on changing your nickname to "firmy".

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

They could be...

+1

These two treatments are certainly options. Fillers like Restylane can improve loss of facial volume and restore a more youthful shape to hollowed cheeks. Fractional CO2, such as Fraxel Repair ,is one of the best options to get dramatic improvement of sun damaged skin with just one treatment (but with 5-10 days of serious downtime). These are not the only options, however. Fraxel Restore can give results with less downtime (but more sessions). Pearl laser is excellent if discoloration is the issue, rather than lines. Active and DEEP FX give great one-session improvement of lines, wrinkles and discoloration. Juvederm Ultra Plus, Evolence, Sculptra, and Radiesse are other excellent filler options. Each has their relative strenghts and weaknesses. The most important decision is who does the work. A physician, board certified in plastics or dermatology, who has a large body of work with lasers and fillers, is the best choice. Good luck.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Skin rejuvenation and hollow cheeks

+1

Fraxel Repair is an excellent treatment for fine lines, wrinkles and textural irregularities of the skin. As far as filling in hollow cheeks, you have several filler options including Restylane, a similar hyaluronic product that lasts longer called Juvederm, Radiesse which may last even longer (a calcium-based product), Sculptra and fat transfer.

As far as the temporary fillers, I like Radiesse and Sculptra for the cheek hollows.

It is important for you to find a provider who can explain all of your options to you in detail, the associated down-time, risks and potential complications).

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist