Restylane for Mouth Corners on a 20 Year Old? (photo)

Hi! I'm only 20 yet considering the use of Restylane (Juvaderm). Despite my young age I suffer from dropping mouth corners, I've always looked like this even though neither my parents twice my age suffer from it I still blame it on genetics. I initially consulted a plastic surgon for a moth corner lift but he promted me to SHY away from that until I was older! He forwarded me to a nurse that will inject instead. Am I too young? What happens if I stop the upkeep in say 15 yr sagging & scarring?

Filler for mouth corners

+2

Hi, I am very glad the plastic surgeon you saw discouraged you from a surgical procedure because that would be unlikely to help someone with your issue. Fillers might be a good solution but I would especially caution you to be selective about who injects into your face. Your face is loaded with important blood vessels, nerves and the anatomy is complicated. Seeing a board certified physician who has training in aesthetic injections, such as a dermatologist or plastic surgeon, is my recommendation. 

Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane for Mouth Corners on a 20 Year Old?

+1

Fillers would be the best option for you, you are far too young to even consider surgery. Both Juvederm and Restylane are great fillers, they usually last 6-10 months and can soften the marionette lines. I strongly suggest seeing a certified physician to get the best, natural looking result 

Best of luck 

Restylane for corners of the mouth at 20 years old

+1

Restylane and Juvederm are both facial fillers derived from hyaluronic acid, but are each a little bit different and work best in specific areas. Injectables are generally a good remedy for drooping corners of the mouth, which are also referred to as marionette lines. The best options for the marionette lines are the following:

1) Perlane
2) Restylane

You may even benefit from a little bit of Botox in the area, but this is something you should discuss with your provider. I agree with your surgeon's recommendation on shying away from surgery, as you are still very young. You are not necessarily too young to have filler, as every patient has their own individual circumstances. It is not necessary to "maintain" fillers. The skin is very elastic, and it will by no means "stretch" to the point where sagging would result down the road if the treatment was not maintained. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane for a Young Patient

+1

Juvederm and Restylane are slightly different hyaluronic acid fillers, but both are good, non-surgical options for the problem you’re dealing with. Especially at the young age of 20, when it’s too soon for surgery. I would not have a nurse administer the injections, however. It is important to go to a board certified doctor who has an understanding of facial anatomy and experience with these cosmetic fillers. Both Juvederm and Restylane are very safe and should not have negative long-term effects.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Surgery for marionette lines should be discouraged at age 20

+1

I discourage surgery for this problem which is skillfully treatable with Radiesse or Juvederm by an expert practitioner.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Fillers to LIft the Corners of the Mouth

+1

Fillers are a very good way of lifting the corners of the mouth. They are simple, there is usually no bruising, very little swelling, and the effect will last a reasonably long 6 to 12 months.  They do not appear to cause any long term negative changes in the tissue, so they can be repeated as needed for as long as you live.  Fat transfer is another way to lift the tissues around the mouth, but if you only need the corners of the mouth lifted, fat transfer is unnecessarily complex.

Kevin L. McBride, DDS
Dallas Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Corners of the Mouth Correction

+1
Fillers, such as Juvederm, work very well to soften the corners of the mouth to give a more youthful appearance. It is important to consult with a Board certified physician who is an expert in facial anatomy, to discuss the best rejuvenative plan for you.

Scott Farber, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Fillers for downturned mouth corners

+1

Down-turned mouth corners or "Marionette lines" are common for genetic reasons, and due to aging and osteoporosis (bone thinning). Juvederm or Restylane or Radiesse would all be great fillers to help prop up and support the corners of the mouth to prevent the sad-face look. Surgery at your age for this problem would be a huge mistake ; fillers are safe and natural and the best options for this problem. Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and Restylane or Juvederm

+1

You should consult an experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon to see if you would be a candidate for Botox and a filler such as Restylane or Juvederm to fill and lift the corners of your mouth.  If you stop the treatments at some point, you will slowly return to your prior state and continue to have the effects of aging.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Combination of botox and filler

+1

A combination of botulinum toxin in the depressor anguli oris along with filler material around the mouth corners can result in a nice softening/upturning of the corners of the mouth. A consult with an experienced provider can help you sort it out. Over time, you will stimulate collagen production and you will need less product as the years go by. As long as it is injected properly by an experience physician, scarring is unlikely.

Ramona Behshad, MD
Chesterfield Dermatologic Surgeon