Restylane for Bad Hollows Under Eyes and Dark Circles (Male)? (photo)

Hi, I'm David. I'm actually pretty young, a first year at University; 19 years old. I have had a dark circles for about 1-2 years now, but since September of last year they have gotten worse and worse. It doesn't stop at dark circles, I have really bad sunken hollows under my eyes as well. So I was wondering if Restylane will work for me, and if I will get satisfactory results. Also since I'm only 19, should I wait a couple more years before getting this injection? Cheers.

Restylane can help the contour

+2

Unfortunately the dark circles are very diffcult to treat, however a hyaluronic acid filler such as Restylane can be used to very carefully smooth the contour hollow of the lower eyelids and especially the "tear trough" area.  There will be some bruising which can temporarily worsen the dark discoloration and there can be some surface irregularity.

You should consult with a plastic surgeon or other cosmetic surgical specialist in your area experienced in performing filler injection to discuss your options.    

Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Remedies for dark under eye

+1

Certainly the hollowness of the under eye area responds very well to hyaluronic acid fillers such as Resylane or Juvederm.  The tissue fillers are placed deep to the muscle at the orbital rim.  In that location, the fillers will typically last a very long time.  However, the dark color of the under eye area could be more than shadow.  Pigment and superficial blood vessels can create an undesirable darkness which the fillers may not change.  Such discoloration can be resistant to treatment.  

Pamela Carr, MD
Sugar Land Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane Would Work Very Well For Under Eye Hollows

+1

The dark circles are difficult to deal with, but the hollows would respond very well to Restylane injections. By smoothing the hollows and tear troughs the appearance of the lower eyelids would improve noticeably. The other "bonus" to the injection is that by smoothing out the hollows you will get a softer shadow underneath the eyes, making the dark circles lighten up. Although the dark circles do bother you, I would guess that you would be surprised at how much better the injections would make the lids look overall. The eyelid skin is very thin, so the injection needs to be done carefully by someone experienced in this area.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane for eye hollows

+1

In the hands of an experienced physician injector, Restylane for eye hollows is a great procedure. It will help fill in the hollows which will get rid of a lot of the shadows casting the darkness. If you actually have veins in the tear trough though, it might be beneficial to have sclerotherapy injections there and get rid of some of these veins which can also lead to the discoloration. Visit a few board-certified physicians for their advice and suggestions. You are not to young to start now - I treat many people in their late teens and early 20s.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Restylane for hollows under eyes

+1

In my hands, Restylane injections work well to fill in hollows under the eyes.  The treatment is very well tolerated in this area and my patients have little discomfort using just topical numbing cream for anesthesia.  I usually start with 1 cc split between the two sides, but some patients require additional filler for full correction.  I inject this area below the muscle.  Bruising is a risk in this area.  The great thing about Restylane is that it can be reversed or dissolved with hyaluronidase if needed, which is rarely required but comforting to know that the option exists. 

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane for Tear Troughs

+1

Restylane injections may work very nicely to treat tear trough hollows.  These injections should be deeper then in other facial areas, however, usually just above the bone and may require some massage.  I agree, the dark pigmentation is a more difficult problem and bruising is not unusual.  There are other treatments for these hollows such as fat transposition, but Restylane injections may be a good place to start.  I would also recommend finding a board certified experienced plastic surgeon, dermatologist or oculoplastic surgeon in your area experienced in injections in this area.     

Stephen Delia, MD