Restylane Fillers?

Ok I have a couple questions & please answer ALL and HONESTLY. I am under 20 years old & I was considering lower eyelid surgery. But most Dr's on this website suggested Restylane fillers? 1.First off is fillers like botox? 2.Will the injections once faded away make my eyes look worse then before? 3.Are their any dangerous side effects to takes fillers? I have always been told not to get botox because you will have to keep going back I want something permanant. But I can't afford the permanant.

Restylane treatment

+2

You are very young to be considering eyelid surgery. When patients have any type of eyelid surgery at a young age, it is usually to correct an issue that is due to genetics. Photos and/or an exam would really be necessary to give you the best advice. In general, at this stage of your life, I would recommend using filler to help improve any issues you are experiencing in that area. To answer your questions:

1) Fillers work different than Botox. Fillers restore volume and fullness to the skin, reducing the effects of thinning epidermis and creating a younger appearance. Botox will paralyze the muscles in a given area, causing the wrinkles to smooth.

2) Your eyes will not look worse than they did before because of the filler - in time it will wear off and you will look how you did before the filler was injected.

3) There are side effects associated with fillers, which include but are not limited to minor bruising and swelling, redness, irregularities from a poor injection technique, and infection. Selecting an experienced physician to perform the injections is essential.

Botox will last around 3 months on average. Fillers will last a bit longer, around 6 months on average. The filler will sometimes last even longer than that, depending on the patient. At this point, I would recommend an exam with a board certified specialist. After examining you, he or she will be able to assess your condition and make recommendations that suit you based on your individual circumstances. Thank you, and I hope this helps answer your questions!

Restylane Fillers

+2

Here are my answers to your questions:

1) Fillers and Botox are different injections. Botox will relax the muscles and generally lasts 3-4 months. Restylane is a hyaluronic acid, which is a "water-loving molecule." This means it pulls fluid into your tissues filling in the wrinkles. Fillers add volume, that is why you may have had so many suggestions for Restylane in that area. Fillers are not permanent but Restylane can last 9-12 months. In my experience Restylane works great in the lower eyelid trough, I've experienced patients having results up to 3 years!

2) Injections typically will not make your eyes look worse than before. Your under eyes may simply return to their baseline once the filler is naturally absorbed by your body.

3) The under eye area is very sensitive, which means you will be very susceptible to bruising and swelling. These side effects can last a few weeks. You will want to make sure you have a well trained injector for this procedure in order to obtain the best results and least amount of side effects.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery at 20 may not be the best option

+2

It is difficult to say without a photo or in office consultation but I don't know many 20 year olds who need a blepharoplasty as this age.  Botox prevents wrinkles and fillers last for a long time under the eyes.  You should seek a reputable consultation with an experienced dermatologic injector to see your best option.

Michele S. Green, MD

Fillers for correcting around the eyes

+2

Fillers are used to improve on volume loss or hollowing under the eyes that some people have for a variety of reasons. Botox is used for wrinkles due to movement, such as forehead horizontal lines, frown lines "11s", and crow's feet around the eyes. Sometimes both Botox and fillers are used to improve an area of the face. Best to speak with your dermatologist or plastic surgeon to see the best option for you.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers for under the eyes

+2

Fillers, like Restylane, are used to add volume.  IF your issue is hollowing iunder the eyes in the tear troughs, then fillers would be a good solution for you.  Botox is a neurotoxin that treat wrinkles that mainly occur on movement.  Botox is not used to add volume. The main side effecs of fillers are most commonly local injection site reactions, like bruising and swelling.  the main side effects of Botox are also injection site but you can also get drooping if too much is injected in the wrong areas.  I think it is actually a good thing that these products aren't permanent as it gives you a chance to see what it looks like and if you don't like it, it will be eventually disappear.  

Ritu Saini, MD

Lower blepharoplasty vs. fillers to improve appearance of lower eyes

+2

1.  Botox and fillers are different.  Fillers increase volume while Botox is a neuromodulator, meaning it inhibits the action of muscles.  

2.  The source of the undesirable appearance under your eyes will direct appropriate treatment.  Without pictures or an exam it wouldn't be helpful to suggest a treatment for you.  

3.  Serious side effects from fillers are extremely rare.  With appropriate technique and monitoring you shouldn't have to worry.  

For your question about whether getting Botox is bad, here's a recent blog post of mine:

Botox (Dypsort) injection is one of the most popular and safe cosmetic medical procedures performed worldwide.  Botox and Dysport are great for eliminating dynamic wrinkles (rhytids), meaning wrinkles that result from muscle activity.  They are neuromodulators, meaning they alter the activity of muscles.  The most common areas to receive injections are: forehead, crow’s feet, glabella (frown lines in between eyebrows), and bunny lines.  Even if you receive Botox or Dysport once, and decide not to continue it, your wrinkles will be reduced in the treated areas because your muscle will not have been able to function for the 3-5 months the Botox and Dysport was working.  Just like any other muscle in your body, when it is not able to function, it gets smaller and weaker.  Smaller, weaker muscles = fewer wrinkles and smoother skin.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Restylane Fillers?

+1

Restylane is a great option for you to inject to the tear troughs, you are far too young to consider an eyelid surgery. Most fillers tend to last longer due to less movement under the eyes, you should see a significant difference but I do suggest you seek a reputable injector to ensure a natural result

Best of luck

No way to address your concerns without pictures and a consultation with your doctor...

+1

generally you're too young for either procedure...sometimes people believe they have flaws that are not obvious to anyone else...botox isn't even in the same ballpark as surgery/fillers...there used for different purposes...while it's not impossible you really need something done, without seeing a picture limits any specific response...

Ken Landow, MD

Botox and Restylane

+1

Have you considered a no-charge consult? That's my recommendation for all information you need on neuromodulators and fillers. Why not spend the time with a qualified, well-trained, and experienced injector and then weigh your options?

Sam Naficy, MD

Fillers vs Botox vs Fillers

+1

MrsHoop,

1) Fillers are injected to fill wrinkles or add volume, whereas Botox is a protein that relaxes muscles.  Botox would not help lower lid bags, but fillers often can by adding volume below the bags.

2) Filler injections under the eye can last up to a year or more.  Once the filler dissolves, your eyes will look like they would have looked if you had never gotten the injection.

3) There are many fillers that can be injected.  For under eye injections, I only use hyaluronic acid fillers (Restylane or Perlane to be specific).  Hyaluronic acid is normally found in the skin and has an excellent safety profile.

In conclusion, most patients your age do well with fillers to the under eye area and don't require surgery.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon