Should I Have Restylane Filler for my Upper Eyelid After Asymmetry from Blepharoplasty for Lash Ptosis

Hello, In 08/09 , I had a blepharoplasty done on both of my upper eyelids because I was experiencing discomfort from the eyelashes rubbing against my eye, and also because they were slightly inhibiting my vision. However, it left my right eyelid crease much higher than before causing a asymmetry. My opthamologist suggested using Restylane to fill in the right upper eyelid and help promote symmetry. But, I'm worried that the Restylane will push the eyelashes down again. Is this possible? Thanks

Would not recommend having any filler to upper eyelids

+3

In general, IMHO, it's not advisable to have any filler, Restylane, Juvederm etc. In the upper eyelids. There should be a more reliable method of achieving your aesthetic goals. You should have a discussion wight he surgeon that did your eyelid surgery.

I would strongly advise against this.

+3

Please see a oculoplastic surgeon with experience fixing these types of issues.  It sounds like you need revisional eyelid surgery rather than a filler treatment.

Correcting Upper Eyelid Asymmetry

+2

Without an exam I am only able to speak to probability here.  Probability would say that you need your upper eyelid surgery revised.  Restylane likely can help, but it will be tricky to keep it consistent and is likely to be a "band-aid" solution to an otherwise fixable problem. 

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery and fillers

+2

Symmetry is beauty and a procedure that doies not produce symmetry usually means that a second minor procedure to correct this is necessary. While going back to your first physician is always wise, sometimes a second opinion is helpful. Restylane, like any filler is only a temporary way to fix a problem. I have used Restylane in the eyebrow reagion but it is very tricky. The advantage is that if you don't like the Restylane, it can be disolved.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

It is difficult to give you an opinion without seeing you.  However, if your surgeon believes he can address the issue with Restylane, then there is little to lose since the Restylane is reversible.  Often these cases need surgical revision.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Restylane for asymmetry

+1

there are many reasons for a high lid crease and without an exam and a whole lot more info no specific recommendation can be given. still, restylane to fill in hollows of the upper lid can be effective and reversible as well to some degree. talk to your surgeon about surgical options as well. good luck

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Treatment for post Blepharoplasty Asymmetry

+1

Post Blepharoplasty Asymmetry can be caused by multiple things. These are correctable by many means, including Restylane, other fillers, fat, or several types of revisionary surgery. Discuss what the suggested correction will accomplish and the risks specifically. Without a picture or an examination, there is no way to give specific advice.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Restylane Can Safely Be Used to Reduce Upper Eyelid Assymetry

+1

Eyelid assymetry can be addressed several ways. First, I would ask your surgeon if you are a candidate for more surgery. This can permanently correct the problem.

If you wish to try a temporary solution, or are not a candidate for surgery, then Restylane is a safe way to reduce hollowness and lower an elevated eyelid crease.

David Schlessinger, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

Restylane works well for brows and upper eyelids.

+1

If you have asymmetry after a blepharoplasty I think it is reasonable to try Restylane. Most likely your doctor will inject the Restylane into the lower part of your eyebrow to fill out the area that is more hollow.

The good news is that if for some reason the treatment does not work, the filler can be completely dissolved with a simple injection of hylaronidase.
Hope this is helpful.

Marc Cohen, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Asymmetery after eyelid surgery

+1

You should see a second opinion, whether a plastic sureon or oculoplastic surgeon, rather than asking an opinion on line without being seen. 

Ronald Shelton, MD