How Much Restylane is Typically Needed to Fill Tear Troughs?

Typically? About 0.2 cc.

+3

These questions are really tough since there can be a wide range to the severity of the defect and the amount needed to correct.

That said, I usually start with 0.2 cc each side and work from there. You do NOT want over correction in this area.

New Orleans Dermatologist

Surprisingly little

+2
Restylane is my preferred filler for the tear trough area. It is soft moldable and lasts about a year. I typically will use about 0.3- 0.5 cc per side depending on how much of a correction is necessary. More can always be placed at a later date.
I do not believe in the semipermanent fillers in this area. If you are not pleased with the correction this is very difficult to fix. The restylane however can be dissolved with an enzyme.
Good luck

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Restylane for infraorbital hollowness

+2

Restylane has become the filler of choice for the lower eye area for long lasting correction. Juvederm and Hydrelle simply have too much hyaluronic acid content and are at risk for swelling.

For patients contemplating their first injection we usually recommend Prevelle, which does not last as long but also is quite safe.

For patients who need greater and more permanent correction we steer away from semipermanent fillers in favor of LiveFill(R) often performed with an ultrshort incision cheeklift (USIC (R)).

In any event, there are many choices now that were not available a few years ago.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Restylane, How Much is Typically Needed to Fill Tear Troughs?

+2

Hi O,

The amount of Restylane typically required to fill the lower eye lid hollow varies depending upon the individual patient.

I find that between 0.3 cc to 0.5 cc per side is used in the majority of patients. I do not use more that 0.5 cc per side at one visit. If that is not enough, more can be added at later visits.

Most important to choose your injector carefully in this delicate and unforgiving area.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

How Much Restylane is Needed for Under Eye Injections?

+1

Hello oulipo.  The answer to the question very much depends on the patient.  In most cases, we will use between .5cc and 1cc for both sides combined.  With that said, we have had a patient that required 1 cc for each side because of her facial anatomy.

When we reach for a 1 cc syringe and it does not get completely used for the area, we work with the patient to place it in other areas that may benefit them like the lips. 

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Tear trough and fillers

+1

There is a range of 0.2 to 0.4 ccs, but it may be more or less for some individuals. Ask your physician with whom your consulting to tell you what you need.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Use fillers around the eyes sparingly

+1

It is important to use fillers around the eyes sparingly as over-correction can look awful.  In most cases 0.5 cc (half syringe) is good for each side.  However, each patient is different and the amount should not be determined without examining you.  

David Shafer, MD

It very much depends on the under eye hollow

+1

Dear Oulipo

Tear trough hollows vary quite a bit. The amount of filler need also varies. Most patients need significant volume under the eyes. In a study I recently completed looking at 400 consecutive under eye Restylane treatments, the average volume was 1 ml under each eye.

However, I have some patients who needed less and others who needed much more. Generally I would recommend a consultation with an experienced injector to be assessed regarding what you need. This is a great treatment option.

Restylane for tear troughs.

+1

Hi!

The answer to your question is VERY LITTLE. In Manhattan, we typically inject 0.3 or 0.4 cc's of Restylane for each side when treating the tear troughs.  And the Restylane must be injected deeply.  This area is unforgiving, and technique is very important.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Restylane into Tear Trough

+1

Typically 0.5ml to 1ml. Its always good to start with less and then wait for one week to assess the final result.

In case of wrong position or over correction, Vitrase can be used to dissolve the excess.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon