Is it Common For Restylane Under Eyes to Dissolve After Aggressive IPL Treatment

I'm 28 and had restylane in the hollows of my eye which lasted me for at least two years and weren't going away at all. But right after an aggressive IPL vein treatment under my eyes where the restylane is, I noticed a dimpling effect under my eyes and two months later I don't feel any restylane under my eyes AT ALL. My cheeks seemed to sag a bit due to the sudden loss of restylane (considering I've had it for two years) - is this common? Will reinjecting restylane fix my saggy cheeks?

IPL in combination with Fillers

+1

I agree.  Most likely just coincidence that you noticed your filler resorbing at the same time as you IPL.  I would consider replacement of your filler as it sounds as though you had good results with it.  Good luck!

Web reference: http://www.vargasfaceandskin.com/

Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

IPLs Are Safe to Have After Fillers

+1

This is controversial, in my opinion, as the laser does not penetrate deep enough into the tissue to dissolve Restylane.  There are no clear studies that show that IPLs can dissolve fillers.  Furthermore, Restylane doesn’t last two years, so it’s quite possible you had a different filler injected in that area.  Restylane lasts approximately six months max, so it’s not the Restylane that you see going away.  As far as your loss of volume in the cheeks, hyaluronic acid fillers work wonderfully and look natural.  At Contour Dermatology, we like to use Juvéderm, Restylane, Perlane and Radiesse as facial fillers. 

Palm Springs Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

The fact the Restylane dissolved after IPL is probably just a coincidence.  If the Restylane lasted two years, that is fantastic.  In terms of your other questions regarding the cheek sagging, you would need to be evaluated in person.

Web reference: http://www.neweyelids.com/

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

I agree with the other doctors.

+1

IPL has no effect on Restylane.  You probably need a touch-up treatment to optimize your results.  Check back with the doctor that did you treatment and get his/her recommendation.

Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Two years is about the limit for meaningful treatment effect.

+1

The fact that you associate the loss of the last bit of treatment volume with this IPL treatment does not mean the IPL treatment cause this change.  IPL does not affect Restylane.  The two events are unrelated.  So go ahead get more filler.

Web reference: http://www.lidlift.com

Restylane®, Juvéderm® and other HA fillers are not affected by intense pulsed light

+1

Restylane®, Juvéderm® and other HA fillers are not affected by intense pulsed light [IPL]. This subject has been studied in a scientific manner, and no effect was found.

I would not expect there to be any effect, because Restylane®, Juvéderm® and other HA fillers are transparent, and would not absorb a significant amount of energy from an intense pulsed light treatment. There is no evidence that intense pulsed light causes the skin to produce more hyaluronidase or free radicals, so I would not expect that mechanism of action to affect HA fillers after IPL either.

Niagara Falls Dermatologic Surgeon