Restylane Under Eye,too Much Product?

i got restylane in my tear trough 4 days ago,however i'm still a bit swollen and have a mild blackeye, i feel two, hard ,bean shaped "pillows" if pressing the area.was wondering if they will go away cause i can see the area elevated when i bend my head to the back,or did i get too much restylane,even though the doctor didn't use a full serynge. thank you!

Restylane and lumps

+1

It's not uncommon to have lumps and swelling post-dermal filler treatments...sometimes it's done a specific way to achieve results. Following up with your provider at least two weeks post-treatment is always recommended if you need massage and an assessment of the areas treated.

Restylane in the tear troughs

+1

It can take 2 weeks for any swelling and bruising to resolve after Restylane injections.  If you are not happy at that time, please see your doctor for assessment.  If there is too much filler there, it can be dissolved with hyaluronidase.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Restylane for Eyelid Tear Troughs

+1

Swelling and / or bruising after Restylane injections, especially in the eyelid tear trough region may require up to 2 weeks to settle down.  Re-assess after 2 weeks.  Arnica cream may help dissolve bruising more quickly, otherwise time will. 

Robert Strimling, MD

Restylane to Eyes...

+1

Be patient.  Swelling can last up to a few weeks in some people.  Restylane is a great product for the tear trough area.  However, if you are still unsatisfied after 2-4 weeks consider getting it dissolved with hyaluronidase. 

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

Sweloing under the eyes

+1

I think 4 days is not enough time for the swelling to go down.I would massage and wait a bit longer.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Restylane. Why? Too much Restylane? How long should I wait for it to resolve?

+1

Swelling is common after Resylane for several reasons and can last hours or one or two weeks.  

Why does this happen?:

1. Hyaluronic acid, the active molecule in Restylane, attracts water. This results in minor swelling that often resolves within hours if not one week.
  2. The trauma of the injections may lead to temporary swelling and even bruising. This resolves within 1 to 2 weeks.

Applying ice to the swollen area may help with swelling, especially if applied within the first 24 hours of treatment. Massage is not recommended within the first 1-2 weeks as it can move the implanted Restylane. If the swelling remains after 2 weeks, I would recommend having the area evaluated by the treating Provider. If in fact too much Restylane was used, hyaluronidase can be injected into the area, which dissolves the Restylane or gentle massage may be recommended. 

Restylane is a great product that, when injected properly and for the right indications, can have excellent results with minimal if any side effects. 

Robert S. Bader, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

RE: Restylane Under Eye,too Much Product?

+1

Swelling and bruising can take up to two weeks to completely resolve. For that reason, I advise clients to wait a full two weeks before evaluating the outcome of filler procedures. It is possible that swelling is making the tear trough area appear overfilled and this may change over time, once the swelling has completely resolved. I would try to avoid manipulation or massage of the area until all swelling has gone away. You can ice the area, which may help. If you still have concerns after two weeks I recommend visiting your provider for follow up evaluation. At that time some clinicians will instruct their clients to gently massage the area with their fingertips to allow for mechanical breakdown and accelerated dissolving of the product. There is also an injectable that will dissolve the Restylane if too much product remains at that time.

Joseph Serota, MD
Aurora Plastic Surgeon

Restylane in tear trough

+1

Some bruising after tear trough injection is fairly common. A "pillow of material" may be flattened, but you should talk to your doctor.

Return to your doctor.

+1

Of course, these could be bruises and they may go away in a few days, but I'm certain that your doctor would want to take a look. If your doctor feels that it is just bruising or a little swelling they'll let you know. If it's the Restylane and there is a visible bump there, they can inject some Vitrase to smooth the area out.

Christine Glavey, MD (retired)
Alpharetta Dermatologic Surgeon

Too early to tell.

+1

Photographs would be very helpful.  When you bruise, you swell.  The volume has to be judged after the bruising has resolved.  This can take up to 3 weeks if the black eye is bad.  Lesser bruising resolved sooner.  Once the bruise has resolved, your cosmetic  surgeon can adjust any over fill.