Restylane For Under Eye Hollows After Weight Loss

Since I was a kid I had these hollows under my eyes, but after taking acutane and losing some weight they worsen a lot. Should I consider restylane to lift the under eye area up or in my situation it is not going to help? The right eye looks for some reason worse and more sunk than the left one. When I look up front in the mirror I see these harsh lines coming from my undereye because a lot of fat is lost in this area and they look very dark like the skin is very thin there and no fat beneath

Restylane for under eye hollows

+2

From your photos you look like an excellent candidate for Restylane augmentation of the upper cheek and eyelid.  At least in my hands, I've had the greatest success in this area with Restylane.  The cosmetic result is typically excellent and the longevity usually a year or longer.  You need to search out a physician who performs lots of eyelid work with injectable fillers to achieve the best possible result.

Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Restylane after weight loss

+1
Congratulations on your weight loss. You would be an excellent candidate for Restylane in the hollows under your eyes. The photos do not display the entire area so you might benefit at some point from lower lid blepharoplasty but I would recommend first trying filler and evaluating the results.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Restylane or juvederm for under eyelid hollows

+1

The safest fillers for the under eye areas are the hyaluronic acids, Juvederm and Restylane.  They are often placed below the muscle in the tear troughs so as not to leave visible lumps underneath the smooth and thin skin of the eyelid. Some physicians surgically reposition fat and others do fat injections in this area but those can't be dissolved should there be a problem.  Juvederm and Restylane can be dissolved if needed with hyaluronidase.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Restylane under the eyes after weight loss

+1

As the panel members have suggested, a "tear trough" procedure (using filler under the eye area) would be an excellent option to add volume to this area. 

The procedure is very technique-dependent and requires a conservative approach with a good understanding of how much product to use as well as the placement. 

Be certain to ask many questions and ask for before/after photos when choosing a practitioner to perform this procedure.  In our practice, the tear trough procedure has been an excellent option for eye rejuvenation and has produced very rewarding results. 

Please refer to the below link for many blog articles as well as before/after photos of this technique.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Restylane for hollowness under the eyes

+1

Greetings~

From what I can see in your photos, you look like you would be a great candidate for Restylane in the tear troughs and upper cheek area.  Sometimes when we lose weight it disappears from areas we may not want.  Thankfully we can address this with fillers in these areas. Often times the dark appearance comes from shadows from the uneven contours in the face rather than actually darkening of the skin itself.  This can very nicely be addressed with Restylane...raising the area slightly with Restylane can make these transitions smoother and create much less shadowing.   Adding a bit of volume to the upper cheek can also help this as well as create the more youthful appearance of a slightly fuller mid face.  

Good luck~

Dr. Grant Stevens      

Grant Stevens, MD

Consultation Required

+1

I have often used dermal fillers like Restylane with an excellent result for adding volume for under eye hollows.  Based on the description of your situation, I believe a dermal filler could bring about a positive result, however, any definite prescription would require a consultation in person with a physician.

Thank you for your inquiry. 

Dr. Steven Bernstein

Steven Bernstein, MD
Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon

Facial Fillers

+1

Physicians call the area under your eye with the hollowing "tear troughs"

Volume loss in this area is common even in people who have not lost weight

(Congratulations on your weight loss!)

Reatylane is commonly used by physicians in this area to treat this hollowing.

Before treatment inquire if your physician has experience with this procedure.

Use of Restylane in this area is FDA off label.

Paul Carniol, MD
Summit Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dermal fillers for facial volume loss

+1

What can be gathered from your photos is that there is a large amount of soft tissue loss not only from the tear trough area but from the cheek areas as well.  That is often a part of significant weight loss.  Often it would be great to have only the face look like you gained 10 lbs but not everywhere else.

My recommendation is to consider a full facial revolumizing treatment like Sculptra to add volume to the temples, mid and lateral cheeks.  And since Sculptra should not be used in the tear troughs, Restylane is an excellent treatment for restoring volume in this area. 

Consult with a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with training and experience in facial rejuvenation and volume restoration.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane Under Eyes

+1

Mermaid,

I agree that you are a good candidate for Restylane injection to your lower eyelids / tear troughs.  This injection takes 30 minutes or less.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon

The Use of Under Eye Fillers to Treat Tear Trough Deformity

+1

Your tear trough is well defined and your skin is light colored and thin. Although not shown on the photographs, I am going to suggest that your midface might also be a bit flat; this may tend to accentuate the nasojugal groove.

The use of a soft tissue filler will provide benefit, but needs to be performed by someone with experience using injectables in this area. Your anatomy will not be very forgiving, and an uneven or irregular fill may be easily perceptible. The use of hyaluronic acid filler (such as Juvederm Ultra or Restylane) in the tear trough is probably a better option for you than Radiesse, because those gel products will be more forgiving in this area. When comparing Juvederm Ultra and Restylane in the tear trough I would choose Restylane; there have been a few instances were Juvederm in the tear trough creates more prolonged or late swelling.

If your cheek bones are a bit flat you may see additional improvement by adding volume to the midface. The hyaluronic acid gels (such as Juvederm Ultra Plus and Perlane) can be used to accomplish this, but Radiesse may be an even better option since it will provide more effective filling on a volume-per-volume basis. Again, having an experienced injector evaluate and treat this problem is the key to a good result. Best wishes.

Kenneth Dembny, II, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon