Restylane Downtime and Recovery

How many days of recovery time can I expect with Restylane? Can I have it done in the morning and go to work without anyone really noticing?

Restylane Downtime: Bruising, Swelling, and Redness after Facial Fillers

+3

In most cases, the amount of downtime following a facial filler injection is minimal depending on the technique used. A small gauge needle used on a patient who does not meet any criteria for excessive bleeding will undoubtedly result in quick recovery.

Our office performs countless facial fillers and we advise patients to not schedule them immediately prior to a major social event. A small bruise can occur in any patient, even in the best circumstances, and thus several days of recovery is opportune.

Tips to minimize bleeding prior to facial fillers:

• Decrease consumption of aspirin, ibuprofen, or coumadin 3 weeks prior to injection. Defer to instructions set by your individual physician.
  • Ask the doctor to use smaller gauge needles.
  • Use Bruisestick, Sinech, or other anti-bruising agents after injection.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD www.karemd.com Kare Plastic Surgery & Skin Health Clinic Santa Monica, CA Los Angeles, CA

Recovery after Restylane

+2

Great question.  Dermal-fillers like Restylane, Perlane, Juvederm, and Radiesse are effective non-surgical treatments to rejuvenate your appearance.  While the treatment is performed in about an hour and the effects are immediate, you may need 1-2 weeks to see the full results of your treatment and recover from any bruising and swelling.

Plan ahead by scheduling your treatment a week or two in advance of any special event.  To minimize bruising, stop taking any aspirin, vitamin E, fish oil supplements, and St. John's Wort.  Avoid excess sun exposure.  Also, you may want to try Arnica (oral and topical treatments) pre- and post-treatment.  You can find Arnica over-the-counter at most food/healthfood stores.  Icing the area after treatment may help with initial swelling.

David C. Mabrie, M.D., FACS

David Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Most patients can return to work the day following their treatment.

+2

Most patients can return to work the day following their treatment. The amount of swelling one may experience depends on where they had Restylane injected. Lips may become a bit more swollen than the rest of the face. Any time one places a needle in the skin, there is a risk to develop a bruise. It is advisable to avoid non steroidal anti inflammatories the week prior to your treatment.

Sanjay Grover, MD

Most of the time, Yes.

+2

To monarchbutterfly,

Typically, there is a little bruising following Restylane which lasts for a day or two and is easily covered with makeup. We apply ice after the injection to minimize bruising. Also, you will have even less bruising if you don't take aspirin or other anti-inflammatories.

But very rarely, there will be more noticeable bruising which I have seen last up to 5 days.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Minor swelling and bruising is possible after Restylane

+2

In my practice, I ask my patients to refrain from taking blood thinners (i.e., aspirin or ibuprofen) for about 2 weeks prior to the office procedure. I agree with the other physicians: The downtime after injectables varies per individual. Depending on the person, bruising and swelling may occur but usually subside within a week. We usually give our patients ice packs immediately after injecting to decrease the chance of bruising.

Most patients are able to drive immediately after receiving injections and go about their day. Results with Restylane and other hyaluronic fillers are visible about a week later, and generally last up to one year. The estimated 'downtime' varies from patient to patient and also is based on the injection technique, and somewhat depends on the type of filler used.

Thank you for your question!

Stephen A. Goldstein, MD, FACS

Stephen A. Goldstein, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Everyone responds differently

+2

This is a good question. Ideally, you will not have any bruising or swelling. However, realistically, most people have mild swelling and about 1/3 of people develop very mild bruising. You probably should not return to work the same day, but you will likely be fine to go back the next day. If you are worried, have the procedure on a Friday and you will be fine by Monday for work. Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

David Shafer, MD

Downtime with Restylane

+2

Dermal injectables are a great way to temporarily improve the look of facial wrinkles. They are notable for low downtime, minimal discomfort and immediate results.

Any procedure has risks however -
There can be local site reaction (some redness at the injection site), some swelling (which usually subsides in 2 - 3 days.) You may be asked to massage your injection site to reduces swelling and more evenly spread the product and reduce lumps.

Mentor (recently purchased by Johnson and Johnson) has a hyaluronic injectable called Prevelle which in my practice has led to less swelling and can be a good option for people who need something for tonight. There are always pluses and minuses - the Prevelle product does not last as long as Restylane.

Steven Williams, MD

Steven H. Williams, MD

Restylane Downtime and Recovery

+1

It depends on the area that is being injected. Lips and under the eyes, swell the worst. If you are just filling the nasolabial folds or the cheeks, you can apply makeup and return to work without anyone noticing. Remember not to take any Aspirin or vitamins to reduce the chances of swelling.

Tim A. Sayed, MD, FACS
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Not much downtime with Restylane

+1

With restylane or juvederm in highly trained injectors like dermatologists or plastic surgeons,  there is a slight discomfort to injection, and there may be mild swelling in the first 2 days (especially with lips), a bit of redness for a few hours, and occasionally a bruise. Most people return same day to work without any problems at all. If a bruise occurs, then you can try to cover it as best you can, take arnica, or eat fresh pineapple to make it go away faster.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane and Recovery Time

+1

I would never do Restylane the same day as a "Big Event" although I have had to inject patients before a photo shoot etc! The concern is bruising.  I always like to give a patient a seven day window in which to do Restylane.  I recommend taking Arnica a few days before and be sure to stay away from aspirin, aleve, and Vitamin E for at least a week before.  If you do all of this you will have the best results!

Michele S. Green, MD