Does Restylane Degrade Unevenly in the Tear Troughs?

I had Restylane placed in my upper cheek/tear trough area over a year ago with great results. While there is still some product left in the tear troughs, the Restylane has slowly been degrading over the past couple of months and I've been left with some very slight lumpiness and uneven ridges (my skin is pretty thin). Does Restylane degrade unevenly in certain parts of the face?

Does Restylane Degrade unevenly in the Tear Trouh

+2

Any filler can be reabsorbe unevenly, including Restylane in the tear trough.

For the tear trough, I prefer to inject Juvederm under the muscle, right over the periosteum. At that level, even if the absorption is uneven, it is barely noticeable.

Always make sure that you have your cosmetic procedures  performed by a Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon.

Chicago Dermatologist

Restylane and tear troughs

+1

I find that in areas of little  motility like the tear troughs, restylane tends to stay a bit longer than in other areas.  As for absorption one side may resorb quicker than the other.

Restylane and Juvederm can dissolve differently in different parts of the face.

+1
I often see at one year follow-up that within some areas of the face that residual Restylane or Juvederm is felt still in some areas and is gone in others. Even within the smile crease I can feel the upper part different than the lower part at one year. As the eyelid is thin and if the filler was injected above the muscle, the lumpiness can be more apparent. Restylane is particulate and may be more hard than the smoother Juvederm but some feel that Juvederm can make the eyelid too puffy although I haven't seen this (using it under the muscle).