Will Restylane Be Damaged by IPL or Refirme?

If I get injected with Restylane and then get an IPL/Photofacial or Refirme/Thermage treatment, is the Restylane going to be damaged or altered?

Lasers (and possibly IPL) CAN affect fillers

I have to disagree with the other comments posted above. While no studies, to my knowledge have supported a relationship between lasers and fillers, we have definitely seen a relationship clinically in my office. We first noticed a diminishing of results from fillers with our own staff members several years ago when Fraxel laser treatments were performed after injecting Restylane and Juvederm. We eventually narrowed it down to a time period of 2 months following injection of the hyaluronic acid filler when it seemed to be vulnerable to laser treatment. We also did a side-by-side comparison on several staff members, using Fraxel laser on only one side of the face after filler injections and did see a reduction in correction within 1-2 days after laser treatment.

My theory on this is that hyaluronic acid fillers bind water and Fraxel laser, among many other lasers, are attracted to, and therefore heat up, the water molecules in the skin. This could account for its effect on the fillers. We have also seen this effect with GentleYag laser and SmoothBeam laser. Because of this effect, we have avoided use of other lasers and IPL devices within 2 months of injecting fillers.

Because of this effect we have even used lasers to intentionally diminish fillers after poorly done treatments were done by other offices. We found this helped with Radiesse injections also, so the effect may not be limited to just hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm and Restylane.

I don't know if IPL or Thermage have the same effect because we avoid all heat-producing treatments in the skin for 2 months after all filler treatments now, but I have to assume that the heat produced by these techniques will probably diminish the filler to some degree. I would wait 2 months after your filler is placed before having laser treatment.

Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

30201 Golden Lantern
Laguna Niguel, CA 92677

Radiofrequency and IPL treatments do not affect fillers

There have been a couple of studies looking at the interaction between fillers (Restylane, Radiesse) and radiofrequency treatments (Refirme, Thermage). These studies showed that there was no interaction between the two treatments that negatively affected the outcome. Having radiofrequency treatment after fillers does not decrease the plumping effects of the filler, nor does it make you more likely to have a side effect from the radiofrequency treatment itself. Another study looking at people who had IPL after filler had the same conclusion--there was no decrease in effectiveness of the filler after IPL treatment.

Jordana S. Gilman, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

9900 Medlock Bridge Road
John's Creek, GA 30097

Doing Fillers on top of Thermage or IPL doesnt effect the results

Generally Thermage or IPL or other nonablative lasers dont effect Fillers such as Restylane or Juvederm however if it is possible do the filler injections after these procedures.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

16100 Sand Canyon Ave
Irvine, CA 92618

Safe to have both IPL or Refirme if you have Restylane

This is actually a fairly common combination of treatment for patients in my practice. There are minor risks for each procedure independently, but no evidence that these risks increase when both treatments occur in the same patient.

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

55 Francisco Street
San Francisco, CA 94133

Interaction between fillers and lasers

There is no evidence of an interaction of lasers and fillers. The lasers do not penetrate deep enough to affect the filler product that was injected into the deep dermis.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Fillers and lasers or thermage

There is no evidence to date that I am aware of which states that Thermage can damage a filler or affect its duration of effectiveness. If you have a choice of doing one before the other, do the Thermage and then immediately after, you can do the filler. The IPL, V-beam, or Fraxel Re:store should not affect the filler based on the depth of penetration of the light source or laser.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

317 East 34th St
New York, NY 10016

IPL will not damage the Restylane

All the lasers and light treatment are at the epidermis and dermis layer (superficial), and the fillers are injected in the deeper layer.

Thermage is different and goes deeper and may change the result from filler.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

3901 Veterans Blvd
Metairie, LA 70002

Restylane and IPL

Restylane and other fillers will not be affected by IPL or lasers. The lasers are attracted to certain wavelengths of color. The fillers tend to be clear and do not attract the lasers.  IPL is too superficial to be a problem.

Janet M. Neigel, MD
West Orange Oculoplastic Surgeon

254 Columbia Turnpike
Florham Park, NJ 07932

No relationship between Restylane and IPL or Refirme

No relationship between these two treatments (IPL and Restylane injections) can be found. So go ahead and get the treatments done. Best of luck and regards to you.

6330 Manor Lane
Miami, FL 33143

Restylane is safe with IPL, unknown with Thermage

The energy transmitted by IPL treatments does not penetrate the skin and thus will not interefere with Restylane. To the best of my knowledge there are no studies on Thermage and injectibles but in theory there should be some transmission of energy to the level of skin where Restylane is injected which may cause some disruption. This though is theoretical.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

6545 Preston Road
Plano, TX 75024