Restylane in Cheeks. Changed Face Shape.

I had restylane under my eyes and in my cheeks 7 months ago. The eyes had problems, but now look great. However, I've never liked how my face shape looks. It's fuller, with less distinct cheekbones. I look younger but less striking; fatter, and I'm thin. When can I expect this to dissipate? I'd take gauntness for my high cheekbones in a second. I've been patient, but I was hoping that at least some would have dissolved by now. I realize there's no magic number but, ballpark? Thanks so much.

Whether or Not to Reverse Restylane

+2

In my experience, Restylane in the cheeks rarely last very long and is usually undetectable within a year. Its short lifespan is one of the reasons I do not inject Restylane into the cheeks for volume only. In other, thinner-skinned areas such as the lips, the results can last for years. I also think that hyaluronidase is not always predictable and can dissolve some of your own hyaluronic acid in addition to the Restylane that was injected, resulting in a result that is even worse. I would recommend waiting patiently for things to improve without the risk making it worse.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

10 to 12 months for most Restylane to resolve

+1

Around one year is the point that most of the hyaluronic acids dissolve. You could have some hyaluronidase injected to dissolve some of the filler you have.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Too much of a good thing

+1

Greetings SallyAnne~

There really can be too much of a good thing.  This is often the case with fillers.  Too much filler can change the shape of the face and indeed blunt some of the facial features making people feel they look fat or that they have less definition in the face.  Consequently, not enough filler can be upsetting as well.  When patients expect a certain result and that lines and wrinkles will be improved but they are not because an inadequate amount of correction was done that can be equally upsetting. (but easier to correct because it just requires more).  Filler can take quite a while to dissolve, especially if there is a great deal of filler in one area it can take a long time for enough to disappear to make a noticeable difference. If it was quite a significant volume it can easily take over a year.  If you are truly unhappy with the fullness, the best solution is just to eliminate the filler that's causing it.

Good luck~

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

Restylane for the face

+1

Restylane under the eyes seems to last longer than other parts of the face, such as the cheeks.  The magic with the fillers lie with the physician injecting them to recreate a youthful facial appearance.  If you are really unhappy with the result you currently have, you may consider hyaluronidase to remove it; however, depending on how long it has been, its effect may be wearing off already.

Kimberly Lee, MD

How Long Does Restylane take to Dissolve?

+1

Hi Sally.  The answer to your questions depends on the area of the face because Restylane dissolves at different rates depending on how much movement there is in the area injected.  For example, we set the expectation that for the lips the product will most likely dissolve in 3-4 months.  The midface area including the nasolabial folds (smile lines) and cheeks typically lasts about 6 months and the undereye area typically lasts about 9-12 months.  

If you were injected in the midface area, it usually lasts about 6 months.  If you feel that the product has not dissolved and you do not like the effects you should ask your injector to use hyaluronidase (we use Vitrase), an enzyme that will break down the Restylane and return the face to the same shape as it was previously.  Hope this helps and good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Restylane in the cheeks can last two years!

+1

Hi.

If you really don't like the look, hyaluronidase injections (in small amounts!) will dissolve some of the Restylane, and help restore your sharper cheek bones.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Restylane to cheeks should improve facial shape

+1

IMHO, the Restylane was most likely injected in the wrong place creating a cheek shape that was not aesthetically ideal.  There is no magic, in these fillers themselves, and what shape is created is all a function of the aesthetic eye of whomever is injecting the Restylane, Perlane, Juvederm, Radiesse or Sculptra.  Any, of these, placed in the wrong amount, in the wrong area will lead to a shape that's not attractive and in mind, counter-productive.

I like Perlane or Radiesse for shaping the cheeks that last about 9 months and 12 months respectively while Restylane and Juvederm typically last 7-8 months.  Your Restylane should be dissipating very soon.  Best to let it just go away on its own.

Restylane in Cheeks. Changed Face Shap.

+1

Dear Sally Anne,

The nice thing about Restylane is that it is easily dissolvable.  It often takes up to 1 year to fully go away, so if you do not like certain areas, see your physician for hyaluronidase injections into those appropriate areas.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Cheeks too full after restylane injections

+1

I do a lot of cheek enhancement injections and find them very succesful!  I always ask the patient to be very definitive on where and how much correction. I actually stop durring thep procedure to let the patient see where we are.  Restylane should last 6-9 months or a little longer. Be patient, you had too much fill for your face.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

The result can last up to a year

+1

You can reverse the result of the Restylane with Hyaluronidase. The problem is that you like some of the result and you ask your surgeon to use it with caution to not dissolve all of the it.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon