Restylane & Cellulitis?

After 2 1/2 weeks post injection my upper right lip began to ache and in three days it blew up like a balloon. The injecting spa is 2 hours away and it's closed on Saturday. So I went to a medical doctor who diagnosed cellulitis and prescribed antibiotics. Now, I certainly hope this works and really don't want to go back to the injector anyway but what are the chances? Most of the inflammation seems to be inside my mouth. The skin is shiny and tight with a little redness on the surface above my lip.

Restylane infection? Or tissue necrosis!

+2

I would recommend you see an experienced injector NOW. An infection is very rare, but I am concerned that what might actually be occurring is a block of the artery in the lip area with Restylane, so what you are getting is tissue necrosis. In this case, you need to see someone immediately, and antibiotics won't resolve it. Do not waste time and get to an experienced injector right now.

Restylane and infection

+2

Without seeing you in person, it's very difficult to determine what may or may not be going on. Follow up with your provider/injector for further assessment but it's not a common occurrence to have an infection post-treatment.

Sam Naficy, MD

Cellulitis after Filler to Lips

+1

Sometimes an infection can develop from filler injection.  Antibiotics and drainage of the area or removal of the material would be warranted.

Restylane infection

+1

Without seeing a picture of your lip, its difficult for anyone to give you accurate advice.  Even though you are greater than 2 weeks since your injection it is possible that you are having an infection.  Infections are rare with fillers, but have occurred. If it is an infection, then antibiotics may help clear it up.  I recommend that you don't wait to find out if your antibiotic works and you find a physician in your area that is experienced with fillers and can properly assess what is going on.  

Jessica Kulak, MD
Fairfax Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane and infection?

+1

Melece,  I would go and see someone that does a lot of fillers tomorrow. It is possible to get occlusion of a blood vessel although this usually occurs more quickly than two weeks. Even if there is a remote chance that this could be happening you would want to take care of it quickly. A bacterial infection would be unusual but a Herpes infection(fever blister) is not at all unlikely. Antibiotics would not help that. In the future, carefully investigate who you have injecting things into your face. Make sure that they are physicians that are trained in that field.

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Restylane injections

+1
Dear Melece, It does sound like an infection and it should be improving with your antibiotics Infections are rare and they can happen to anyone It works be ideal for you to go back to your injector so they can see it They are the most qualified people to treat you, and maybe you can help them prevent another problem like this for someone else Best regards, Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD