I Just Had Restylane on Both Cheeks and Only One Side of my Face is Swollen. Normal?

I just had restylane on both sides of my face and only one side of my face is swollen. And it obvious that one side is fuller than the other. Is this normal and how long should I wait before I call the doctor?

Asymmetry after filler

+2

First, everyone has asymmetry. Unless there is a large discrepancy or you think you have a hematoma, then there is not much else to do at this point. If you are concerned, then you should contact your doctor. Usually it is a good idea to wait a few weeks before getting touch-ups to allow the swelling to settle.

Swelling after Restylane Injections

+2

Yes, this is normal.  No one is completely symmetrical.  Various injections in the skin can cause damage to tissues and inturn cause swelling!  The inflammation can last a week to 2 weeks at the most.  Have patience. Ice the area if the injections were recent (within the first 24 to 48 hours).  Good luck

Dr. Grant Stevens       

Grant Stevens, MD

Asymmetrical swelling after Restylane

+2
Unless your face is completely symmetrical, it would not be uncommon for you to swell more on one side than on the other. Sometimes, one side requires more product than the other and also patients tend to favor one side while sleeping. You can definitely followup with your doctor and, if the injections were performed less than 72 hours ago, apply cold packs at regular intervals during the day.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Remember that it is possible for one side to bruise.

+2

Windy

I get called for all sorts of things.  Honestly, I would rather see someone for something that turns out to be nothing than miss something important.  Most likely your injector feels the same way.  Having said that, swelling after a service is very common and it does not have to be the same on each side.  While we docs like to think that the service is zero down time, that is not really true.  I often use 40 hours for normal swelling provided there is no bruise.  With a bruise, swelling can persist much longer.  Give it a few days, if things have not settled, please call your doctor.

Cheek swelling after restylane

+2

It's normal to see some swelling and bruising after filler injections. You can ice the area to help swelling decrease. Once the swelling is down, it's important to make sure that both cheeks are fairly symmetric. Remember, no one is perfectly summetric so the 2 sides will be slightly different.

Gary Goldenberg, MD

+2

Yes, swelling can be one sided and does not occur evenly or symmetrically with fillers like Restylane or plastic and cosmetic surgery procedures.

Asymmetry after Restylane.

+1

Hi Windy.  Not very many patients are completely symmetrical.  But if your face was relatively symmetrical before the injections then it's very possible to have had more swelling one one side than another.  Typically we see bruising more often than swelling with Restylane, but it depends on the injection technique and the amount of product used.

We have our patients come to a 2 week checkup after their initial visit just to make sure everything turned out as we both expected.  Give your injector a call and schedule a checkup for something around the 2 week mark.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Restylane

+1

Asymmetry can occur after injection of fillers.  This could be due to baseline asymmetry prior to injection, swelling, bruising, or a need for additional filler injection.  You should see your doctor about this to rule out the unlikely possibility of a problem. Most of the time this is not a significant issue.

Assuming it turns out not to be due to a significant issue before you speak with the doctor you should decide which side you like better.  If you like the larger side better you may want to treat this by having additional filler placed in the smaller side.  If you have significant pre-existing asymmetry it may not be possible to achieve complete symmetry.  Most people have some asymmetry.

Paul Carniol, MD
Summit Facial Plastic Surgeon