Pain level of Restylane treatments?

How painful are Restylane injections for wrinkles around the mouth? Since it is a sensitive area, do they use a local anesthetic?

Fort Lauderdale Lip Augmentation

+1
Yes, perioral injection is the most sensitive. There are a number of techniques that can be employed to optimize comfort including topical dental swabs with anesthetic followed by regional blocks.

Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Pain with Restylane Injections

+1

A gentle technique, icing, topical numbing cream, combined with lidocaine that now comes pre-mixed in the Restylane, all lend to a more comfortable treatment.  Be certain to discuss any concerns with your practitioner prior to treatment.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Restylane and pain level

+1

Pain with Restylane treatments should be minimal.  There are many options for pain management that your doctor may discuss with you.  This includes applying ice to the skin, topical numbing cream, or nerve block injections.  The newest form of Restylane, called Restylane-L, actually has lidocaine (a numbing agent) premixed with it.

Kristel D. Polder, MD
Dallas Dermatologic Surgeon

Pain level for Restylane treatments

+1

Now that Restylane contains lidocaine, the pain from the procedure is significantly reduced.  In my office, we use topical numbing agents as well as give patients the option of having a dental block especially for more sensitive areas like the lips.

Lori Stetler, MD
Dallas Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane - How painful are Restylane injections for wrinkles around the mouth? Since it is a sensitive area, do they use a loca

+1

Ouch!  That happens to be a tough area, even for tough patients!

Some areas are typically more sensitive than others.  In my experience, addressing the nasolabial lines (the lines that go from the nose to the corners of the mouth) and adding volume to the cheeks are relatively painless.  Anything in the region of the lips is more painful, whether addressing the fine lines, or "plumping" up the lips.

That being said, I have found only relatively short duration of correction of those fine lines.  They remain among the most troublesome of the signs of aging (often in combination with sun damage and smoking) from the standpoint of correction.

But to address your question more specifically, there are at least two things that can be done to diminish the pain associated with these injections.  Topical anesthesia can be applied and/or you can have a nerve block, in which the region is rendered numb (it lasts for 1-2 hours, so not a good thing to do right before you go out to lunch!).  Both of these diminish the pain of the injections.

Both Restylane/Perlane and Juvederm are now prepared with a local anesthetic, but that doesn't help the first few injections.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Pain prevention with Restylane injections around the mouth

+1

The perioral area is very sensitive. Even with the presence of lidocaine in the product being injected, I feel the injections in this area are much better tolerated and lead to the best outcomes when patients are totally comfortable. For this reason, in my practice I perform a perioral dental block for all patients receiving filler around the mouth or lips. This procedure is easy, comfortable and allows the filler to be done painlessly.

Missy Clifton, MD
Bentonville Dermatologist

Restylane or Juvederm injections should be relatively painless

+1

A topical anesthetic should be used prior to injection, and the lidocaine containing products make the procedure almost painless.  The pinch feels like a 3 on a scale of 1 to 10.  all patients do well with it, especially as we use ice for comfort and to reduce chances of bruising.  Make sure your doctor uses the lidocaine containing product for all areas of the face.  Best to you.

Carolyn Jacob, MD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane around the mouth

+1

Restylane is now premixed with a local anesthetic so injections are much less painful now than in the past.  If you are very sensitive to pain, I recommend a topical anesthetic be applied to the area and left on for about 15-30 minutes.  Usually after the first injection the area becomes numb so you do not feel the subsequent injections as acutely.

Sheri G. Feldman, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Yes, anesthetic is put into the product

+1

Yes, anesthetic is put into the product, and can also be applied to your lips/face before the treatment begins.  With this, they are not very painful.  It also depends on whether you go to an expert injector as technique is relevant.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

How to Minimize Pain For Restylane Injections around the Mouth

+1

I have been injecting lips for the purpose of cosmetic enhancement for over 25 years and have used many methods of anesthesia to reduce the pain of lip injections. These include topical numbing agents, ice application, and regional nerve blocks. In my opinion, nothing compares with a technique known as a "dental block". The initial injections are done using an intra-oral technique. After swabbing an area on the mucous membranes inside the lip with a numbing solution used by dentists (called a Caine Tip), I inject a local anesthetic (lidocaine) at several points to completely block the nerve sensory fibers from reaching the lip. It is quick and relatively simple to do, quite reliable, and results in almost painless injection treatments for lip enhancement.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon