Are Restylane and Juviderm Safe on Immunosuppressed Patients?

Potential side effects from Restylane

+1

For a full review of potential side effects of either Restylane or Juvederm, visit their specific web sites. It's not common to have any side effects other than bruising and/or swelling after treatment.

Dermal Fillers in Immunosupressed patients.

+1

"Safe" is a relative word and has to be used with caution in any situation in medicine.  However, from my own personal experience, I have not seen any ill side-effects from the use of either of these fillers in immunosuppressed patients.  The risk of allergic reaction is so minute that the FDA does not even require skin testing to be performed on patients prior to injection.  You do run a higher risk of infection with immunosuppression although this risk would be expected to be low.

Brian Howard, MD
Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon

Fillers and immunosuppression

+1

Generally, there are no inherent risks of the product itself except for increased bruising and possibly infection depending upon the area you seek to be corrected. I would check with your surgeon first and your treating physician before proceeding to be safe.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Immunosuppression a risk for Juvederm and Restylane

+1

I do not see any higher risk for problems in patients with immunosuppression. Hyaluronic acid is a constituent of our skin, and rarely if ever causes allergic reactions in anyone. Try a small amount and see!

Barry Resnik, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Immunosuppression and facial fillers

+1

I have performed injections of fillers and Botox in immunosuppressed patients that have had kidney transplants, but you have to remember that you are at higher risk for infection than the general population.

Restylane

+1

i would check the mfg and fda  approval.  at this time , a skin test if concerned, than good to go  based on thi soffice results

Micki Ly, MD
Maui Dermatologic Surgeon

The general answer to this is yes.

+1

However, because the degree of immuosuppression and the clinical basis for the immunosuppression varies so much, it is impossible to say that these treatments would be right for a given individual without a detailed knowledge of their particular clinical status.  For example, an immunosuppressed individual with a history of tissue cellulitis would not be appropriate for these type of treatments in my opinion.  Bottom line, the decision to have these treatments in an immunosppressed person must be made on individual considerations in consultation with the various treating physicians.