Is it OK to get Restylane After Radiesse?

I had radiesse injected in my upper lip in June 2011. I am considering having restylane in my upper and bottom lip in a week. However, I am having trouble finding information on whether it is ok to combine these fillers. Would appreciate an answer! Thank you

Restylane After Radiesse

+1

These fillers can combine beautifully.  However, radiesse is not generally used in the lips. Restylane has received FDA approval for lip augmentation.

Radiesse and Restylane combination

+1

Yes, you can have Restylane injected into the lips after Radiesse, although you haven't explained why you want to pursue this now.  I agree with the panel that it is not advisable to inject Radiesse into the lips; Restylane does nicely in that area.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Restylane after Radiesse?

+1

Hi Icy.  It's absolutely fine to use Restylane in combination with Radiesse.  The concern we have is that using Radiesse in the lips can cause very serious side effects.  While there are some practitioners that offer Radiesse for the lips, we do not think it's worth the risk.  

If you were instead considering Radiesse for the cheeks, then the combination of Restylane and Radiesse is an excellent one.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

It is fine to use the Restylane.

+1

Frankly, I'm sorry to hear that your injector thought it wise to inject your upper lip with Radiesse.  There is no FDA-approval for that and it is not a recommended off-label use of the product because Radiesse's use in the upper lip is fraught with complications.  

That being said, you can use Restylane without the fear of similar problems occuring.  I love the stuff as it makes very natural looking volumized lips when used by an experienced injector.

Good luck,

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Combination Restylane and Radiesse in same area may be risky

+1

There is genreal agreement that Radiesse is not a good idea for the lips and HA fillers such as Restylane and Juvederm are much safer there. I do not agree that combining dermal fillers in the same area is a good idea though. For one, they may re-absorb at different rates, making the result look imbalanced. Different fillers may be used in differnt parts of the face though, for example Radiesse in the cheeks and Restylane in the lips.

Richard Baxter, MD

Radiesse is not a good product for the lips.

+1

Radiesse is not a good product for the lips because of the risk of nodule formation that may become hard and visible.   The hyaluronic acid products are much safer and much more forgiving if you should become unhappy with your results. 

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane - Is it OK to get Restylane After Radiesse?

+1

In general - yes.

It's actually pretty common to combine fillers.  Usually, Radiesse is used for the deeper contours, and hyaluronic acid (such as Restylane) for the more superficial contours.  So from that standpoint it's fine.

I generally prefer not to use Radiesse in the lips.  I normally recommend hyaluronic acid for that area.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Combining Radiesse and Restylane

+1

These two fillers are a great combination.  However, we NEVER use Radiesse in the lips as the risk of adverse effects in this area is very high.  Restylane is perfect for your lips.  Both are wonderful in other areas of your face depending on what needs correcting.

Sheri G. Feldman, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Radiesse is not for lips

+1

In my opinion, Radiesse should never be used in the lips. When Radiesse is injected in the lips, regardless of the skill of the injecting physician, it tends to be associated with a high incidence of nodules. Migration to a distant location from the injection site on the lips has also been described. Juvederm or Restylane are perfect for lips. In other areas of the face I will commonly combine Radiesse and Restylane as they can work together to enhance your results.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse and restylane in the lip

+1

First, radiesse is not recommended to be used in the lip because of the possibility of forming lumps.  Restylane is perfectly fine to use in the lips.  It can be used in the presence of radiesse.