I've had Restylance injection under my eyes twice but it only last 5-6 days. Is this normal? Should I try another filler?

I had restylane filler injection, but the Doctor only use 1/2 syringe for tear troughs, the filler restylane only last 5-6 days, then my tear troughs under eyes turn back the same like nothing has been done, I went back second time to get more filler, then it the same that the Rystylane only last 5-6 days on my face (tear Troughs), do my body eat up all the Restylance or do I need to use other kind of filler injection like radiesse? Pacey

Most likely you were under dosed, you may want to purchase the second syringe to see full correction from your treatment

435 North Roxbury Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Resytylane for Tear Troughs

It sounds like your injector was being very conservative by injecting half a syringe.  I would just return to your treating area and have more product added under the eyes.  A common mistake I see every day by inexperienced injectors is TOO much product injected under the eyes and unhappy patients who want me to "fix" it.  It is always better to be conservative.

Michele S. Green, MD

156 East 79th Street
New York, NY 10075

Restylane Under the Eyes

Hi Podi.  It's very likely that you need more product.  Also, it seems that your injector is being very cautious, which might mean he or she is not that experienced.  The minimum we will ever inject in this area is 1 CC and most patients get 1 CC per eye if they have moderate to sever concerns with volume loss under the eyes.  

A key question is how the product is being injected.  Some injectors will use very small amounts because they are injected into the skin rather than under the muscle.  This is a problem as injections like this can lead to more bruising and bad outcomes.  If your injector is not experienced with tear trough injections find someone that is.

In addition, do not consider products other than Restylane, it really works better than anything else in this area.  View some photos at the link below of our patient outcomes for this procedure.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

23211 Hawthorne Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90505

Restylane does not dissipate after such a short amount of time such as 5-6 days. It typically lasts between 6 and 12 months so the issue probably relates to the amount of Restylane that was used.

Daniel Shapiro, MD

5410 N. Scottsdale Road
Scottsdale, AZ 85253

Restylane lasts a long time around the eyes

Restylane lasts a long time around the eyes. In your case, it is likely not enough was injected.  The location of injection matters as well.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

9735 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Undereye / tear trough filler question

Restylane should last 6-12 months in that area. In most cases, when results "disappear" the issue is that not enough filler was used as opposed to the filler being degraded. You get an immediate result due to a small amount of filler + swelling but when the swelling resolves, there is no obvious improvement. In most cases, injection of an appropriate amount of filler creates a noticeable result. You could also seek another injector in your area to discuss what has happened and allow them to evaluate your undereye area before making any specific recommendations. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

9695 S. Yosemite Street
Lone Tree, Colorado 80124

Short-lived Restylane

It is extremely rare for any of the hyaluronic acids such as Restylane or Juvederm to disappear after a few days.  I have performed thousands of such treatments including the tear-trough area and have never seen the filler disappear that quickly.  Usually when you inject small amounts of the product (1 syringe), the results may be so subtle that you may not notice much change.  I recommend taking  very good photographs before and after to see any subtle changes.  You may simply need more product to have a noticeable improvement.   Discuss the option of changing to Juvederm UltraPlus or Perlane with your doctor. 

Daniel Yamini, MD

9201 West Sunset Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90069

Restylane filler-Dermatologist-Windsor, Ontario

Hi Pacey,

That is very unusual.  Fillers typically last 6 to 12 months,  sometimes times longer.  Our body does metabolize them but not that quickly.

I would recommend you see a dermatologist or plastic surgeon. Perhaps a filler is not what you need. Perhaps you need surgery.  

I wish you the best.

Dr.  Daniel Radin, MD,  Windsor, Ontario,  Canada,   Dermatologist

Daniel Radin, MD
Windsor Dermatologist

13278 Tecumseh Road East
Windsor, ON N8N3T6