Restrictions Following BA/BL and TT?

My surgery isn't scheduled until Sept, but my doctor was somewhat vague about restrictions following my surgery. I understand that it will be some time until I can resume exercise....but what about simple stuff like lifting my arms to put my hair in a pony tail, using my arms to support myself and get out of bed, the actual lb limit for lifting, walking, etc. And how long it will be until I can do these simple tasks. I'm not as worried about "exercise" as I am bout everyday functioning.

Activity after surgery

+2

Your surgeon would be able to best answer specific questions based on your situation.  In general, you will be able to do normal daily activities, ie prepare foods, groom yourself, get around the house within the first few days after surgery, though you will most likely still be sore.  Weight restrictions vary, but we recommend lifting no more than 10-15 pounds for a few weeks after surgery, and even then taking care to lift with proper body mechanics.  Good luck.

Katy Plastic Surgeon

Post op for tummy tuck and breast augmentation and lift

+1

Each doctor is a bit different in terms of post-op care after these surgeries, but I usually have patients limit aerobic activity for 3-4 weeks and heavy lifting and sit-ups for 6-8 weeks.

BA/BL AND TT physical restrictions movements are not as severe as movements to eatd. telephone and walking

+1

this kind of operations  are not  as sever, to stay completely quiet in your bed, you surely will get the  adequated movements for go to eat, take a bath, wash your teeths, walk .for no  more than 10 days so sincerely they are not  as sever as to be unmovilized

esta clase de operaciones no son tan severas como para  estar todo el dia inmovilizado completamente sino que podrias lavarte los dientes, contestar el telefono o la PC  caminar etc 

Ramon Navarro, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Post op Care and activities

+1

Many plastic surgery practices provide their patients with written instruction on post operative care and activities. Your plastic surgeon should be able to answer these questions based on your type of surgery prior to surgery.  

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Restrictions following Breast Surgery and Tummy Tuck?

+1

It would be in your best interests  to meet with your plastic surgeon and ask specific questions that you are concerned about. Ultimately, he/she is responsible for your care,  not online consultants who do not know your situation, how you are progressing, and whether or not you are experiencing any complications.

Best wishes with your upcoming surgery.A few words of advice may be helpful:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.