"Restricted Level" for Fraxel Restore?

I just went through my second Fraxel Restore session for my acne scars. I'm after the most optimum results, and when I spoke with the aesthetician, she recommends to have my final round done on a "restricted level" to see the best results. Is this dangerous or should I go for it?

Aesthetician doing Fraxel laser treatment?

+3

First of all, there is no way I would ever allow an aesthetician to perform this treatment on any of my patients. In fact, that would be illegal in most states.

Fraxel restore is a procedure that has many potential complications, especially when used at higher levels. Many of the states that used to allow non-medical personnel to do these treatments are enacting stricter laws because of the number of patient injuries and complications.

This is a procedure that should be done by a physician or under the direct supervision of a physician. If the physician is supervising, it should be a nurse or PA. I personally perform all treatments on my patients and would never delegate laser treatment to any of my staff. Patients deserve this attention and I am happy and proud to deliver it.

I recommend you seek your care elsewhere.

Take care,

Dr. Groff

San Diego Dermatologist

Fraxel on restricted settings - No way!

+2

I completely agree with what has been said by Drs. Persky and Groff.

Fraxel laser is an excellent treatment option for acne scarring. I routinely use the Fraxel re:store laser in my practice. I personally perform all the treatments. I believe that this is a very powerful laser and could have significant complications if used in the wrong hands.

The restricted settings are restricted for a reason. One should be extremely cautious before using these settings. It would be an extremely rare situation for me to use a restricted setting.

I am personally against an aesthetician performing a laser procedure. Having said that, an aesthetician who decides to use a restricted setting is, in my opinion, putting a patient at unnecessary risk. It may be better for you to use "normal" settings and do one or two additional treatment sessions.

My advice is to find someone else.

Sirish Maddali, MD

Fraxel by Aesthetician in the "Restricted" Settings

+2

Hi A,

I agree 100% with Dr. Groff. I certainly would not use any laser in the "restricted" area, all it takes is one burn to ruin someone's life forever. This is not a treatment to be administered by an aesthetician at high levels. The Fraxel re:fine is the "tuned down" version of re:store that has been devised for medispas and salons.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Aesthetician and Fraxel

+1

. Fraxel ReStore has many parameters that can be adjusted to give you a custom treatment.  No two patients are the same.  Acne scars generally require the more aggressive treatment settings and multiple treatments (4 to 6 is not unusual).  "Restricted Level" refers to very aggressive treatment settings reserved for only the most experienced laser surgeons.  An aesthetician would not be the appropriate person to perform such a procedure.

Susan Van Dyke, MD
Paradise Valley Dermatologic Surgeon