Restricted Foods After Gastric Bypass

A dietitian told me that I can't have soda after my bypass because it will make my pouch swell. What other foods are off-limits after bypass surgery?

Restricted Foods after Gastric Bypass Surgery

+2

Your dietitian is correct. Carbonated beverages are off-limits due to the fact that they will expand the pouch. Also eating and drinking at the same time is also not recommended due to the fact that you will be able to eat more food if you wash it down with water or other liquids. The most important thing to eat is protein. 75% of your meal should be a protein, the other 25% of your meal should be a fruit or a vegetable. Starches such as pasta rice or bread should be limited.

Long Island Bariatric Surgeon

Restricted foods after gastric bypass surgery

+2

We recommend no carbonated beverages after weight loss surgery.  We also recommend a high protein, low carbohydrate diet.  It is variable which foods patients will tolerate or not tolerate after gastric bypass so it is trial and error.  Ice cream and cookies and cakes are not recommended of course.

Shawn Garber, MD, FACS, FASMBS
Long Island Bariatric Surgeon