Restalyne versus other products for under eye injections. Which is best?

I'm seeing that Restalyne (sp?) is a good filler for under eye filler with people like me who have deep set eyes. Why am I being "pushed" in a different direction to use a product that is far more expensive. If Restalyne is a lesser product I would really like to know. TY Karen in Vegas NV.

Undereye Treatment

+2
The undereye skin is very thin so only “thinner” Hyaluronic Acid based fillers should be injected under the eyes, “thicker” Hualuronic Acid based fillers may cause a tindle effect (bluish coloring) or lumps and bumps in this area as the product itself is too thick to be appropriate for injection in this area. I like to inject Restylane into the undereye hollows of my patients; I find that it causes less swelling than Juverderm and has more natural look than Belotero. It’s impossible to make a comparison to the “more expensive” filler as you did not mention which one was recommended, but if you feel you are being pushed into a treatment you do not want I would recommend you seek another opinion for your treatment. It is best to consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist to with plenty of experience treating under eye hollows.

Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

+2
Restylane is a fine product for treatment of undereye or tear trough hollows. It's not clear from your question what other product is being recommended to you. Always seek a second opinion if you're uncomfortable with the initial recommendations. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane for Under Eyes Hollows

+2
Karen,  
We use Restylane  almost exclusively under the eyes because of its consistent results and if necessary reversibility. Other products that work well are Belotero and Juvederm Ultra.  Regardless, never should you feel pressured to buy a particular product.  

Often a client will come into our office and ask for a specific filler because of what they have heard or read.  With a few exceptions, a really good injector will be able to use any of the Hyaluronic Acid products and place them in the area for a good outcome.  It is my job to educate the client as to why I prefer a different product or why the product that they are asking for is not in their best interest with out making them feel pressured to purchase something else.  I would rather decline a treatment then to pressure someone or place a product that would not be optimal.  With that said however, I also never want price to be the reason why a client choses a certain product.  Get a second opinion or even a third. Don't do the treatment until you feel completely comfortable with the product, price and injector.  

Kenneth Janoff, MD
Portland General Surgeon

Under Eye injections

+2
Restylane and Belotero are usually indicated for the tear trough area under the eyes.  You did not mention by name the other product that the doctor recommended to you, only that it was more expensive.  If you do not feel comfortable please get a second opinion.  You should seek out a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience in cosmetic injections for the best results.

Michele S. Green, MD

Restylane for Under Eye Injections

+2
Hi Karen.  While every injector has their own set of preferences for products and areas of the face, it is generally accepted that thinner Hyaluronic products like Restylane, Belotero and Juvederm are preferable under the eyes.  Longer lasting and thicker products like Radiesse can appear lumpy and uneven under the eyes.

If you are not comfortable with the direction of the consultation or how you feel about the recommendation you are getting, trust your gut.  You are developing a relationship based on trust and you need to pay attention to your instincts.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Restylane vs Belotero for eyelid hollows

+2
Both Restylane and Belotero are likely the best options for filling of the hollows around the eyes. They are both made of hyaluronic acid gel and retain very little water which means less swelling.  Also, they are both reversible.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Restylane for under the eyes

+2
Restylane is a great filler to use under the eyes. I don't know what you are being "pushed" to do, but I would advise you to stop there. No one should be pushing you to do anything and any respectable injector wouldn't be. There are fillers that I think should be used in specific areas, and it's up to me to advise patients on what is best where and why, but I certainly don't "push" them. I'd be very hesitant to recommend you see anyone who makes you feel that way. I'm in Vegas if you want to see me for a free consultation or second opinion.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Restylane versus other products for under eye

+2
There are a variety of products that could be injected under the eyes for cosmetic improvement.  Some physicians may have a personal favorite product that they like to use in that location.  I think Restylane is an excellent filler under the eyes and use it there frequently.  If not Restylane, I would recommend at least using one of the other hyaluronic acid fillers, as these tend to give the best results under the eyes.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane for Tear Trough

+1
Restylane is my preferred product for the tear trough.  However, I have see reasonable results from Radiesse.  Juvederm is very hydrophilic and will tend to pull extra water in from the surrounding tissue.  This leaves an appearance not unlike an allergic reaction.  So, don't use Juvederm under the eyes.  I have no experience with Belotero in the tear trough, but think it should work well (small particles, works in fine lines close to the skin surface and in areas with thin skin).  Perlane, Voluma, silicone, Sculptra and Artefill seem to be really bad ideas for the tear trough and I would never try any of them in this area.  

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Every tear trough is unique

+1
Karen,

While I agree that Restylane is a good option for enhancing the tear trough area, I can see how a physician may want you to consider other options if your tear tough crease is diagnosed as a symptom of malar cheek volume loss.  In general, if your cheek volume is already optimal, then using a conservative amount of Restylane should provide a great result.  If your overall cheek volume is suboptimal, and your tear tough crease is deemed to be related to cheek deflation, then you may want to consider Voluma to lift and augment the mid and upper areas of your cheek.  In my experience, Juvederm Voluma is the best contouring agent for the mid-face. Studies of Voluma show that it safely and effectively augments and lifts the cheek, and the majority of people treated with Voluma find that nasolabial and tear trough creases are also improved. 

Good luck!

Daniel Levy, MD
Bellevue Dermatologic Surgeon