Why Would Restalyne Not Be Effective After 5 Days?

I had Restalyne injections 2 years ago and it lastd the average amount of time. I had Restalyne shots 5 days ago and once the swelling went down, I had the wrinkles on my upper lip and the sides on my chin/jowl area back again! What could cause the product no to work effectively? Yes I went to a reoutible plastic surgeon.

Restylane not lasting

+1

If you don't think your treatment was as effective as before it could be for a number of reasons - and the first thing I would do is return to your provider for a full assessment and to discuss what your options are at this point. You just might need more product.

Restylane not lasting as long as used to

+1

There actually are a number of possibilities as to why you aren't getting the same results you had 2 years ago. Most likely, you need more product injected than you did before. Volume loss, especially in the face, only increases as time marches on. Also, if your weight has changed or dramatically fluctuated in the last 2 years, this too can have an effect on general facial volume, especially in regards to the marionettes and jowls you mentioned.

Regardless, you are not satisfied with the results of your Restylane treatment, and a follow up with your doctor is the appropriate action.

Allison J. Stocker, MD
San Antonio Dermatologist

Restylane not effective

+1

The most common reasons for restylane not to work are: 

1) an insufficient amount was injected for full correction

2) improper technique was used

3) not genuine restylane was utilized.

Consult with the injector so he/she can evaluate the outcome and determine if more product is necessary to achieve noticeable correction.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Restylane not showing effect 5 days after injection

+1

The two most common reasons I see for this occurring are 1) you didn't have enough injected and 2) it was injected to deeply or in the wrong location. Often patients want to see a big improvement with just one vial of filler, when 2 or 3 are really needed. Because of the high cost they elect for only one vial and are often disappointed with the outcome. I always counsel my patients that multiple vials are often needed when lines and furrows are deep so there are no surprises when one vial doesn't create a significant change.  With regard to the placement, this is only dependent on experience and skill. If the injector did a good job for you the first time, his/her results should hopefully remain steady with further injections.

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

Restylane should be effective 5 days after injection

+1

If you don't see any effect from your Restylane after only 5 days, either you did not have enough injected or it was not injected properly.  I suggest that you return to your physician and express your concerns.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon

Restylane not effective

+1

Because this is an art as much as it is a science, it is especially important to remember that the experience and technique of your physician injector is the most critical part to your achieving a beautiful, natural result. Since every face is different, the effectiveness of your treatment depends on your physician’s ability to visualize the desired changes and to select and skillfully administer the best treatments alone or in combination. The video link below shows me injecting my wife’s lips with Restylane!

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane and results

+1

It is difficult to comment on exactly what the problem is without being the one to have injected you. It is very injector specific.  The restylane is still in there but obviously not giving you the desired effect.  Perhaps you need more?